Drink One More Cup
The title of this work also appears as Come, Drink One More Cup.
Bb Clarinet I-II-III
Bb Bass Clarinet
Eb Contra-alto Clarinet
Alto Saxophone I-II
Trumpet (in Bb) I-II-III
Horn in F I-II-III-IV
Euphonium (Bass Clef & Treble Clef)
- Ban Gu
- Bass Drum
- CHN Drum
- Crash Cymbals
- Snare Drum
None discovered thus far.
A remarkable and unique selection by one of China's best-known wind ensemble composers, Come, Drink One More Cup is inspired by a classical poem about the pain of parting. Employing a musical language that deftly mixes the traditional sounds of Chinese music --- including a number of Chinese percussion instruments -- with modern compositional technique, the piece will transport audiences to a different land. Filled with stunningly beautiful pentatonic melodies and vast, open vistas of musical space, Mr. Chen's creation offers something for everyone.
- Program note by publisher
Inspired by the famous poem by the well-known Tang poet and musician Wang Wei, this song has many different versions. The main theme is from Parting at the Yang-gian Gate by Zhang-He of the Qin Dynasty (1867). Wang Wei wrote the poem when he said goodbye to his friend to serve in the army at Weicheng, a small town in Yangguan neighboring the border. The poem expresses sadness, loneliness, and deep sorrow because they may never see each other again.
The morning rain at Weicheng dampens the light dust
All the houses and willows look fresh after the rain,
Come, drink one more cup of wine before you leave
After you go west to Yangguan, there will be no more friends.
- Program note from score
None discovered thus far.
To submit a performance please join The Wind Repertory Project
- University of Cincinnati (Ohio) College-Conservatory of Music Wind Ensemble (Thomas Gamboa, conductor) – 19 February 2020
- Texas 5A Symphonic Band (Kevin Geraldi, conductor) - 15 February 2020 (2020 TMEA Conference, San Antonio)
- The Hartt Omni Wind Ensemble (West Hartford, Conn.) (James E. Jackson III, conductor) – 8 December 2018
- University of North Carolina, Greensboro, Symphonic Band (J. Benjamin Jones, conductor) – 4 October 2018
- University of Arizona (Tucson) Wind Ensemble (Chad R. Nicholson, conductor) – 20 September 2018
- Austin (Tx.) Civic Wind Ensemble (Robert Laguna, conductor) - 13 May 2018
- State University of New York, Fredonia, Concert Band (Guangzhao Huang, conductor) – 20 April 2018
- Sichuan Conservatory of Music Band (Chengdu, China) (Lee Tian Lee, conductor) - 22 December 2017 (2017 Midwest Clinic)
- University of Texas, Arlington, Wind Symphony (Douglas Stotter, conductor) – 22 September 2017
- Golden-Sail Symphonic Band of Beijing Bayi High School (Yu Hai, conductor) - 20 December 2012 (2012 Midwest Clinic)
Works for Winds by this Composer
- Chinese Folk Song Collection 2 (2017/2019)
- Crazy Man
- Drink One More Cup (2010)
- A Lovely Rose (2004)
- Moon Reflection from Erquan
- The Origin of Happiness
- Unknown Heroes