Donna Diana Overture
Emil von Reznicek (arr. Carl Meyers)
Year: 1894 / 1933 / 1968
Duration: c. 5:00
Difficulty: V (see Ratings for explanation)
Publisher: Shawnee Press
Cost: Score and Parts – Out of print.
For availability information, see Discussion tab, above.
E-flat Soprano Clarinet
B-flat Soprano Clarinet I-II-III
E-flat Alto Clarinet
B-flat Bass Clarinet
B-flat Contrabass Clarinet
E-flat Alto Saxophone I-II
B-flat Tenor Saxophone
E-flat Baritone Saxophone
B-flat Trumpet I-II-III
Horn in F I-II-III
- Bass Drum
- Crash Cymbals
- Snare Drum
None discovered thus far.
Donna Diana is a comic opera in three acts by Emil von Reznicek. It was first performed on 16 December 1894 at the Neues Deutsches Theater in Prague. The story relates that Dona Diana, beautiful daughter of the governor of Barcelona, who spurns all suitors. One clever admirer turns the tables, feigning his dislike of her, and he is the one who finally wins her heart.
The opera was successful in its day, with productions in several German theatres, but currently is rarely performed; its overture, however, has often been recorded and is sometimes heard in the concert hall. The overture served as the theme for the American radio (1947–1955) series Challenge of the Yukon, which later migrated to the TV series (1955–1958) Sergeant Preston of the Yukon. It was used in the 1950s on the BBC's Children's Hour by Stephen King-Hall for his talks on current affairs.
- Program Note from Wikipedia and Heritage Encyclopedia of Band Music
(Needed - please join the WRP if you can help.)
- Florida: VI
To submit a performance please join The Wind Repertory Project
- Danville (Calif.) Community Band (Robert Calonico, conductor) – 10 April 2016
Works for Winds by This Composer
- Donna Diana Overture (arr. Meyers) (1894/1933/1968)
- Donna Diana Overture (tr. Braak) (1894/2000)
- Symphonic Suite in E minor
- Donna Diana, Wikipedia Accessed 10 April 2016
- Heritage Encyclopedia of Band Music. "Emil von Reznicek." Accessed 26 August 2022.
- Reznicek, E.; Meyers, C. (1968). Donna Diana: Overture [score]. Templeton Publishing Co.:[United States?]