Do You Hear What I Hear? (arr Crocker)
Gloria Shayne and Noel Regney (arr. Emily Crocker and John Moss)
Subtitle: For Chorus, Concert Band and Opt. Strings
Year: 1962 / 1993 / 2017
Duration: c. 3:50
Difficulty: IV+ (see Ratings for explanation)
Original Medium: Carol
Publisher: Jewell Music Publishing, through Hal Leonard
Cost: Score and Parts (print) - $15.00; (digital) - $15.00 | Score Only (print) - $15.00
B-flat Soprano Clarinet I-II-III
E-flat Alto Clarinet
B-flat Bass Clarinet
E-flat Alto Saxophone I-II
B-flat Tenor Saxophone
E-flat Baritone Saxophone
B-flat Trumpet I-II-III
Horn in F I-II-III-IV
Percussion I-II-III, including:
- Finger Cymbals
- Mark Tree
- Snare Drum
- Suspended Cymbal
None discovered thus far.
Do You Hear What I Hear? is a song written in October 1962, with lyrics by Noël Regney and music by Gloria Shayne Baker. The pair, married at the time, wrote it as a plea for peace during the Cuban Missile Crisis. Regney had been invited by a record producer to write a Christmas song, but he was hesitant due to the commercialism of the Christmas holiday. It has sold tens of millions of copies and has been covered by hundreds of artists.
Regney was inspired to write the lyrics "Said the night wind to the little lamb, 'Do you see what I see?'" and "Pray for peace, people everywhere" after watching babies being pushed in strollers on the sidewalks of New York City. Shayne stated in an interview years later that neither could personally perform the entire song at the time they wrote it because of the emotions surrounding the Cuban Missile Crisis. "Our little song broke us up. You must realize there was a threat of nuclear war at the time."
The song was originally recorded by the Harry Simeone Chorale, a group which had also popularized The Little Drummer Boy. It went on to sell more than a quarter-million copies during the 1962 Christmas holiday season.
- Program Note from Wikipedia
None discovered thus far.
To submit a performance please join The Wind Repertory Project
- South Jersey Area Wind Ensemble (Mays Landing) (Keith W. Hodgson, conductor) - 11 December 2022
Works for Winds by This Composer
- Do You Hear What I Hear? (arr. Barker) (1962/)
- Do You Hear What I Hear? (arr. Bocook) (1962/)
- Do You Hear What I Hear? (arr. Crocker and Moss) (1962/1993/2017)
- Do You Hear What I Hear? (arr. Custer) (1962/1996)
- Do You Hear What I Hear? (arr. Holcombe) (1962/)
- Do You Hear What I Hear? Wikipedia Accessed 10 December 2017
- Rigney [sic: Regney], N.; Shayne, G.; Crocker, E.; Moss, J. (1993). Do You Hear What I Hear?: For Chorus, Concert Band, and Optional Strings. [score]. Regent: Distributed by Hal Leonard: [Milwaukee, Wisc.].