Do You Hear What I Hear? (arr Bocook)
Subtitle: Featured in the Twentieth Century Fox Television Series Glee
Year: 1962 /
Duration: c. 3:25
Difficulty: III (see Ratings for explanation)
Original Medium: Carol
Publisher: Hal Leonard
Cost: Score and Parts (print) - $60.00; (digital) - $60.00 | Score Only (print) - $5.00; (digital) - $15.00
B-flat Soprano Clarinet I-II-III
B-flat Bass Clarinet
E-flat Alto Saxophone I-II
B-flat Tenor Saxophone
E-flat Baritone Saxophone
B-flat Trumpet I-II-III
Horn in F I-II
Percussion I-II-III, including:
- Concert Tom
- Crash Cymbal
- Drum Set
- Mark Tree
- Suspended Cymbal
None discovered thus far.
Few holiday songs can boast being recorded by so many varied artists, or maintaining a high level of continued popularity, as this masterful song composed in 1962. Based on the version recorded by the cast of Glee on their second Christmas album, here is a standout arrangement for young band of this holiday favorite.
- Program Note from publisher
Do You Hear What I Hear? is a song written in October 1962, with lyrics by Noël Regney and music by Gloria Shayne Baker. The pair, married at the time, wrote it as a plea for peace during the Cuban Missile Crisis. Regney had been invited by a record producer to write a Christmas song, but he was hesitant due to the commercialism of the Christmas holiday. It has sold tens of millions of copies and has been covered by hundreds of artists.
Regney was inspired to write the lyrics "Said the night wind to the little lamb, 'Do you see what I see?'" and "Pray for peace, people everywhere" after watching babies being pushed in strollers on the sidewalks of New York City. Shayne stated in an interview years later that neither could personally perform the entire song at the time they wrote it because of the emotions surrounding the Cuban Missile Crisis. "Our little song broke us up. You must realize there was a threat of nuclear war at the time."
The song was originally recorded by the Harry Simeone Chorale, a group which had also popularized The Little Drummer Boy. It went on to sell more than a quarter-million copies during the 1962 Christmas holiday season.
- Program Note from Wikipedia
None discovered thus far.
To submit a performance please join The Wind Repertory Project
- Ouachita Baptist University (Arkadelphia, Ark.) University Band (Jim Lloyd, conductor) – 2 December 2019
- Mid America Freedom Band (Kansas City, Mo.) (Lee Hartman, conductor) – 15 December 2018
- Milton (Wisc.) High School Band (Nathan J.W. Pierce, conductor) – 19 December 2016
Works for Winds by This Composer
- Do You Hear What I Hear? (arr. Barker) (1962/)
- Do You Hear What I Hear? (arr. Bocook) (1962/)
- Do You Hear What I Hear? (arr. Custer) (1962/1996)
- Do You Hear What I Hear? (arr. Holcombe) (1962/)
- Do You Hear What I Hear?, Wikipedia Accessed 10 December 2017