Defying Gravity (Bocook)
Stephen Schwartz (arr. Jay Bocook)
Subtitle: From the Broadway musical Wicked
Year: 2003 / 2010
Difficulty: III (see Ratings for explanation)
Publisher: Hal Leonard
Cost: Score and Parts (print) - $60.00; (digital) - $60.00 | Score Only (print) - $5.00
B-flat Soprano Clarinet I-II-III
B-flat Bass Clarinet
E-flat Alto Saxophone I-II
B-flat Tenor Saxophone
E-flat Baritone Saxophone
B-flat Trumpet I-II-III
Horn in F I-II
Percussion I-II-III, including:
- Drum Set
- Shaker (small)
None discovered thus far.
Defying Gravity is the signature song from the musical Wicked, composed by Stephen Schwartz, originally recorded by Idina Menzel and Kristin Chenoweth in 2003. It is mostly a solo sung by the main character of the show, Elphaba (the Wicked Witch of the West), with two small duets at the beginning and in the middle of the song between Elphaba and her friend Glinda, and a chorus part at the end in which the citizens of Oz sing.
In Wicked, the song is the finale for the show's first act, when Elphaba discovers that The Wizard of Oz is not the heroic figure she had originally believed him to be. Realizing this, and despite Glinda's attempts to dissuade her, Elphaba vows to do everything in her power to fight the Wizard and his sinister plans against the Animals of Oz. She sings of how she wants to live without limits, going against the rules that others have set for her. During the song, Elphaba enchants a broomstick to levitate and, pursued by the Wizard's guards, rises from the stage above the angered citizens of Oz, who try in vain to "bring her down."
- Program Note from Wikipedia
Featured most recently on the hit TV series Glee, here is a dynamic arrangement of the stunning production number from the Broadway musical Wicked.
- Program Note from publisher
None discovered thus far.
To submit a performance please join The Wind Repertory Project
- Mid America Freedom Band (Kansas City, Mo.) (Lee Hartman, conductor) – 1 May 2022
- Towns County High School (Hiawassee, Ga.) Band - 2016
Works for Winds by This Composer
- Defying Gravity (arr. Bocook) (2003/2010)
- Defying Gravity (arr. Sadler) (2003)
- For Good from "Wicked" (arr. Richard) (2004)
- Godspell Highlights (arr. Bullock)
- Highlights from "Wicked" (arr. Brown) (2004/2005)
- The Prince of Egypt (with Zimmer; arr. Bocook) (1998/1999)
- Selections from "Wicked" (arr. Bocook) (2004)
- Selections from "Wicked" (arr. Nowlin) (2004)
- When You Believe (arr. Moss)
- Defying Gravity (song), Wikipedia Accessed 17 August 2018
- Perusal Score
- Schwartz, S.; Bocook, J. (2010). Defying Gravity: From the Broadway Music Wicked [score]. Hal Leonard Corporation: Milwaukee, Wisc.