Eb Soprano Clarinet
Bb Soprano Clarinet I-II-III
Bb Bass Clarinet
Alto Saxophone I-II
Cornet (in Bb) I-II
Trumpet (in Bb) I-II-III
Flugelhorn (in Bb) I-II (Optional)
Horn in F I-II-III-IV
Tenorhorn (in Eb) (Optional)
Tuba (in Bb)
Tuba (in Eb)
(percussion detail desired)
None discovered thus far.
Danse Funambulesque was originally written for orchestra in 1925, and rescored for symphonic wind band in 1930, dedicated to the conductor of the Belgian Guides, Arthur Prévost, with "admiration et reconnaissance artistique."
The opening Andante with evocative solos for flute, oboe and clarinet is reminiscent of the music of Maurice Ravel, perhaps especially his song cycle Shérhérezade though this indolent atmosphere is constantly interrupted by more energetic music which eventually dominates and turns into an increasingly frenetic dance. The scoring is for the usual European lineup of the Belgian Guides or the French Garde Republicaine, with multiple clarinets and, in addition to the normal brass instruments, a team of keyed bugles, alto horns in E-flat, and bombardons in both B-flat and E-flat. The work is in my opinion a worthy companion piece to Florent Schmitt’s Dionysiaques and is quite unjustly neglected.
- Program Note by Tim Reynish
- Audio CD: Ithaca College Wind Ensemble (Timothy Reynish, conductor)
- Audio CD: University of Kentucky Wind Ensemble (Timothy Reynish, conductor)
- Audio Download: United States Marine Band (Col. Michael J. Colburn, conductor)
None discovered thus far.
To submit a performance please join The Wind Repertory Project
- Nazareth College (Rochester, N.Y.) Wind Symphony (Jared Chase, conductor) – 20 October 2019
- Banda Sinfónica de La Federació de Societats Musicals de la Comunitat Valenciana (Spain) (Carlos Ramón-Pérez, conductor) – 10 July 2019 - WASBE Conference (Buñol, Spain)
- World Youth Wind Orchestra Project (WYWOP) (Schladming, Austria) (Miguel Etchegoncelay, conductor) – 14 July 2018
- University of Maryland (College Park) Wind Ensemble (Michael Votta, conductor)- 17 October 2017
- University of Delaware (Newark, Del.) Wind Ensemble (Lauren Reynolds, conductor) – 12 October 2017
- Texas All-State Concert Band (Cynthia Johnston Turner, conductor) - 11 February 2017 (2017 TMEA Conference, San Antonio)
- University of Missouri-Kansas City Conservatory Wind Symphony (Steven D. Davis, conductor) – 15 March 2016
- San Francisco Wind Ensemble (Martin H. Seggelke, conductor) - 1 December 2012
- Norwegian Defence Band (Timothy Reynish, conductor) - Oslo, Norway - 18 April 2008
- Chethams School Wind Orchestra (Manchester UK) - 15 March 2008 (This performance is on YouTube)
- Singapore Wind Philharmonic (Timothy Reynish, conductor) - 15 June 2008
Works for Winds by this Composer
This is the only composition for winds by this composer.
- Digital Resource. Danse funambulesque, Op. 12 - Individual Digital Teacher Resource Guide (GIA Publications)
- Prescott, Kyle. "Danse funambulesque." In Teaching Music through Performance in Band. Volume 6, edit. & comp. by Richard Miles, 800-808. Chicago: GIA Publications, 2007.