Dana Wilson (b. 1946, Lakewood, Ohio) is an American composer and educator.
Dr. Wilson holds a doctorate from the Eastman School of Music, and is currently associate professor of composition at the Ithaca College School of Music in Ithaca, New York. He has been a Society for the Humanities Fellow at Cornell University, a Yaddo Fellow (at Yaddo, the artists' retreat in Saratoga Springs, NY), and is the Charles A. Dana Professor Emeritus at the Ithaca College School of Music.
Dr. Wilson has many commissions, grants, and prizes to his credit. His previous work for wind ensemble, Piece of Mind, published by Ludwig Music Publishing Co., Inc., won the Sousa Foundation's 1988 Sudler International Wind Band Composition Competition and the 1988 American Bandmasters Association/Ostwald Prize. He is co-author of Contemporary Choral Arranging, published by Prentice-Hall, and has written articles on diverse musical subjects.
Works for Winds
A complete list of Dana Wilson's compositions may be found here:
- Avatar, The (2005)
- Awakening... (2011)
- The Banquet (2017)
- Black Nightshade (2004)
- Calling, Ever Calling (1990)
- Clarion Call (1988)
- Colorado Peaks (2009)
- Concerto for Double Bass and Wind Ensemble (2010)
- Concerto for Drum Set and Wind Ensemble (2021)
- Concerto for Horn and Wind Ensemble (1997)
- Concerto for Jazz Piano and Wind Ensemble (2019)
- Concerto for Trombone (2015)
- Concerto for Tuba (Wilson) (2012)
- Conjurer, The (2015)
- Dance of the New World (1992)
- Day Dreams (2006)
- Evolution (1999)
- Fanfare for a New Center (2011)
- Fanfare for Karel (2017)
- Footsteps (2010)
- Front Burner (2020)
- How Very Close (2012)
- Io Rising
- Kah! Out of Darkness (1999)
- Last Ride to Solutré (1998)
- Leader Lieder (1993)
- Liquid Ebony (2006)
- Liquid Gold (2005)
- May the Road Rise Up to Meet You (2013/2019)
- Odysseus and the Sirens (2008)
- Of my dream before me... (2021)
- Old Number One (2017)
- On Fire! (2017)
- The One-Lady Band from Owego (2021)
- Piece of Mind (1987)
- Primal Worlds (2000)
- Quintessence (2019)
- Sang! (1993)
- Searching for Lost Dreams (2013)
- Shakata: Singing the World into Existence (1989)
- Shortcut Home (2003)
- Speak to Me (2010)
- ...the harder they fall (2004)
- the most sacred of times (2022)
- Time Cries, Hoping Otherwise (1991)
- To Set the Darkness Echoing (2005)
- Uprising (1995)
- Vortex (1999)
- When I Am Gone Away (2006)
- Winds on the Steppes (1994)
- Camphouse, Mark (ed.) (2004). Composers on composing for band, volume two. Chicago, IL: GIA Publications. pp. 269–293.
- Dana Wilson website
- Dana Wilson, Wikipedia Accessed 5 January 2017
- Ferrari, Lois. (2007). Two Symphonic Wind Ensemble Compositions of Dana Wilson: Piece of Mind, Shakata: Singing the World Into Existence Doctoral Paper.
- Keck, Thomas. "Awakening." In Teaching Music through Performance in Band. Volume 9, edit. & comp. by Richard Miles, 490-495. Chicago: GIA Publications, 2013.
- Miles, Richard B., and Larry Blocher. (2010). Teaching Music through Performance in Band. Volume 1. Chicago: GIA Publications. pp. 898.
- Reynish, Timothy. The Wind Music of Dana Wilson
- Spurlin, Corey. "Speak to Me." In Teaching Music through Performance in Band. Volume 10, Compiled and edited by Richard Miles, 487-495. Chicago: GIA Publications, 2015.
- Townsend, Jacqueline. "Searching for Lost Dreams." In Teaching Music through Performance in Band. Volume 11, Compiled and edited by Richard Miles, 633-640. Chicago: GIA Publications, 2018.