E-flat Soprano Clarinet (optional)
B-flat Soprano Clarinet I-II-III
B-flat Bass Clarinet
E-flat Alto Saxophone
B-flat Tenor Saxophone
E-flat Baritone Saxophone
B-flat Trumpet I-II-III
Horn in F I-II-III-IV
(percussion detail desired)
None discovered thus far.
I care about craft, clarity, and passion. My works are organic and, at every level, concerned with transformations and connections. The carefully sculpted musical materials of Crackle are agile and energized, and their flexibility allows a way to braid harmonic, rhythmic, and contrapuntal elements that are constantly transformed -- at times whimsical and light, at times jazzy, at times layered and reverberating. Across Crackle’s 11-minute duration, a labyrinth of musical interrelationships and connections unfold that showcase the musicians in a virtuosic display of rhythmic agility, counterpoint, skill, energy, dynamic range, clarity, and majesty. Throughout the kaleidoscopic journey, the work passes through many lively and colorful episodes and, via an extended, gradual crescendo, reaches a full-throttle, sparkling intensity -- imagine a coiled spring releasing its energy to continuously propel the musical discourse. Vivid, resonant, brassy, and blazing, Crackle culminates in music of enthusiastic, intrepid (almost Stravinsky-like, or Stravinsky-crossed-with-bebop-like) spirits while never losing its sense of dance, caprice, and effervescence.
- Program Note by composer
Crackle is an expansion and a transcription made by the composer of her composition Brio for orchestra and is dedicated with admiration and gratitude to John Bierbusse on the occasion of his 65th birthday. The dual version was commissioned by a consortium of university band programs which included support by the University of Michigan’s H. Robert Reynolds Commissioning Fund.
- Program Note from University of Michigan Symphony Band concert program, 22 October 2021
None discovered thus far.
To submit a performance please join The Wind Repertory Project
- Missouri State University (Springfield) Wind Ensemble (John Zastoupil, conductor) – 1 April 2022 (CBDNA 2022 Southwestern Conference, Waco, Tx.)
- University of Cincinnati (Ohio) College-Conservatory of Music Wind Symphony (Detrich Morrison-Jones, conductor) - 25 March 2022
- Eastman School of Music (Rochester, N.Y.) Wind Ensemble (Cynthia Johnston Turner, conductor) - 23 March 2022
- University of Kansas (Lawrence) Wind Ensemble (Paul Popiel, conductor) – 16 November 2021
- University of Illinois (Urbana) Wind Symphony (Stephen Peterson, conductor) - 5 November 2021
- University of Michigan (Ann Arbor) Symphony Band (Michael Haithcock, conductor) - 22 October 2021 *Premiere Performance*
Works for Winds by This Composer
- Carnival (2022)
- Crackle (2020)
- Dancing Galaxy (2004)
- Hemke Concerto (tr. Buchanan) (2014/2019)
- Magneticfireflies (2001)
- Ring, Flourish, Blaze! (2000)
- Selene (arr. Colnot) (2015/2017)
- August Reed Thomas website Accessed 19 October 2021