Conga del Fuego Nuevo
Arturo Marquez (arr. Oliver Nickel)
E-flat Soprano Clarinet
Solo B-flat Soprano Clarinet I-II
B-flat Soprano Clarinet I-II-III
E-flat Alto Clarinet
B-flat Bass Clarinet
E-flat Alto Saxophone I-II
B-flat Tenor Saxophone
E-flat Baritone Saxophone
B-flat Trumpet I-II-III
Horn in F I-II-III-IV
Percussion I-II-III-IV-V, including:
- Bass Drum
- Crash Cymbals
- Quijada (or Guiro)
- Ride Cymbal
- Suspended Cymbal
- Vibraphone (optional)
None discovered thus far.
Following on the success of Arturo Márquez's Danzón No. 2 adapted for band, Oliver Nickel's transcription of Conga del Fuego Nuevo (Conga of New Fire) gives an added kick to the concert band repertoire. In contrast to the elegant, sinuous Danzón, Conga is an uptempo, celebratory piece, bright and catchy, with the percussion section providing the signature kick at the end of the conga pattern. Márquez slows things down in the middle section to spotlight the first trumpet in a melody that recalls the mariachi tradition. The alto saxes pick it up and relax into a ritard ... only to be interrupted by the return of the opening material. The piece ends in fiery fashion.
- Program Note from publisher
Conga del Fuego Nuevo is an up-tempo and celebratory piece inspired by the Afro-Cuban conga, a popular style characterized by memorable tunes and exciting buildups, which Márquez integrates with ease into the piece. This piece is a favorite of Venezuelan conductor Gustavo Dudamel and his Orquesta Sinfónica Simón Bolívar.
- Program Note from William Mason High School Wind Symphony concert program, 15 December 2016
None discovered thus far.
To submit a performance please join The Wind Repertory Project
- San Jose (Calif.) State University Wind Ensemble (Arquin Abaya, conductor) - 22 October 2021
- Appalachian State University (Boone, N.C.) Symphony Band (Jason Gardner, conductor) -5 October 2021
- Northern Illinois University (DeKalb) Wind Symphony (Thomas Bough, conductor) – 26 February 2020
- University of North Texas (Denton) University Band (Luslaida Barbosa, conductor) - 24 February 2020
- Texas 5A Symphonic Band (Kevin Geraldi, conductor) - 15 February 2020 (2020 TMEA Conference, San Antonio)
- California State University, Stanislaus, Wind Ensemble (Stuart Sims, conductor) – 17 October 2019
- Arizona State University (Tempe) Wind Symphony (Elliott Tackitt, conductor)– 10 October 2019
- The Ohio State University (Columbus) Wind Symphony (Russell C. Mikkelson, conductor) – 3 October 2019
- University of Illinois (Champaign) University Band (Jason Gardner, conductor) - 25 April 2019
- Michigan Youth Symphonic Band (Ann Arbor) (Courtney Snyder, conductor) – 18 March 2019
- University of North Carolina (Chapel Hill) Symphony Band (Evan Feldman, conductor) – 26 February 2019
- University of Missouri - St. Louis Wind Ensemble (Gary Brandes, conductor) - 17 October 2018
- Lawrence University (Appleton, Wisc.) Symphonic Band (Matthew Arau, conductor) – 13 October 2018
- University of Wisconsin – Eau Claire University Band (Catherine Edgington, conductor) – 2 May 2018
- Wartburg College (Waverly, Iowa) Wind Ensemble (Craig A. Hancock, conductor) – 15 April 2018
- Kent State University (Kent, Ohio) Wind Ensemble (Jesse Leyva, conductor) – 22 February 2018 (CBDNA 2018 North Central Conference, Kalamazoo, Mich.)
- California All-State High School Concert Band (Lawrence Stoffel, conductor) - 18 February 2018 (2018 CASMEC Conference, San Jose)
- Oklahoma State University (Stillwater) Symphonic Band (Doug Henderson, conductor) – 12 October 2017
- State University of New York, Potsdam, Symphonic Band (Stephen Meyer, conductor) – 5 October 2017
- Band Camp for Adult Musicians (Meadville, Penn.) (Timothy Foley, conductor) – 18 June 2017
Works for Winds by This Composer
- Leyva, Jesse. "Conga del Fuego Nuevo." In Teaching Music through Performance in Band. Volume 11, Compiled and edited by Richard Miles, 518-525. Chicago: GIA Publications, 2018.
- Márquez, A.; Nickel, O. (2011). Conga del Fuego Nuevo [score]. Peer Music Classical: New York.