Antonio Vivaldi (trans. Charles T. Yeago)
Subtitle: For 2 B flat Trumpets and Concert Band
This work bears the designation RV 537.
Year: <1742 / 2005
Duration: c. 7:10
Difficulty: IV (solos); III (ensemble) (see Ratings for explanation)
Original Medium: Two trumpets and strings.
Publisher: BAS Publishing Company
Cost: Score and Parts (print) - $65.00; (digital) - $65.00 | Score Only (print) - $10.00
1. Allegro – 2:50
2. Largo – 0:50
3. Allegro – 3:30
Solo C Trumpet I-II
B-flat Soprano Clarinet I-II-III
E-flat Alto Clarinet
B-flat Bass Clarinet
E-flat Alto Saxophone I-II
B-flat Tenor Saxophone
E-flat Baritone Saxophone
B-flat Trumpet I-II-III
Horn in F I-II-III-IV
None discovered thus far.
Concerto for Two Trumpets was composed by Antonio Lucio Vivaldi sometime prior to 1742 and is part of a robust body of concerti he composed for solo instruments and orchestra. The piece is remarkable in that the work itself is among Vivaldi's best-known creations and yet we know practically nothing about it. The source of this concerto is a single manuscript located in the Renzo Giordano Collection at the National Library of Turin; a large gathering of manuscripts believed to preserve what is left of the ones Vivaldi himself accumulated during his lifetime.
The material is appropriately flashy and fanfare-like in the outer movements, both of which are marked Allegro and propelled by vigorous rhythmic support from the strings. The trumpets usually play together in the solo passages and add some interesting color to the ensemble when playing along in the tutti. In the first movement the accompanying ensemble takes a turn toward the minor mode, which the trumpets turn back to the major. This is Vivaldi's only concerto featuring trumpets.
- Program Note from AllMusic.com
For Jennifer Climer and Ashley Humble.
- Program Note from score
- Audio CD: VanderCook College of Music Symphonic Band (Freddy Martin, conductor; Christopher Martin and Michael Martin, trumpets) - 2006
None discovered thus far.
To submit a performance please join The Wind Repertory Project
- Sheridan (Wyo.) College Symphony Band (Eric Richards, conductor; Rósborg Halldórsdóttir and Shane Carey, trumpets)
- VanderCook College of Music (Chicago, Ill.) Symphonic Band (Freddy Martin, conductor; Christopher Martin and Michael Martin, trumpets) – 22 December 2006 (2006 Midwest Clinic)
Works for Winds by This Composer
- Concerto for Two Flutes
- Concerto for Two Trumpets and Symphonic Band (arr. Lang) (1920?/1964)
- Concerto in B-flat (tr. Yeago) (<1742/2005)
- Concerto in C Major for Two Trumpets (arr. Rumbelow) (1996?)
- Concerto from "L'Estero armonico" (arr. Marlatt) (1711/2016)
- Concerto Grosso in D minor (arr. Cacavas)
- Concerto in C
- Four Seasons, The (1725)
- Italian Masters Suite (arr. Gordon) (1963)
- Largo (arr. Hautvast)
- Piccolo Concerto in C major (arr. Bělohoubek) (1728-29/)
- Piccolo Concerto in C major (arr. Reed) (1728-29/1962/1969)
- Viva Vivaldi (arr. Jenkins) (1963)
- Winter from "The Four Seasons" (arr. Giroux) (1725/)
- Winter from "The Four Seasons" (arr. Slawson) (1725/2009)
- List of Compositions by Antonio Vivaldi. Wikipedia Accessed 16 January 2022