Year: 1920? / 1964
Duration: c. 7:45
Difficulty: (see Ratings for explanation)
Original Medium: Two trumpets, strings, continuo
Publisher: Franco Colombo
Cost: Score and Parts - Unknown
For availability information, see Discussion tab, above.
1. Allegro – 3:15
2. Andante – 0:50
3. Allegro – 3:30
Solo B-flat Trumpet I-II
B-flat Soprano Clarinet I-II-III
B-flat Bass Clarinet
E-flat Alto Saxophone I-II
B-flat Tenor Saxophone
E-flat Baritone Saxophone
B-flat Cornet I-II-III
Horn in F I-II-III
(percussion detail desired)
None discovered thus far.
Concerto for Two Trumpets in C Major, double concerto for trumpets and strings by Antonio Vivaldi, one of the few solo works of the early 1700s to feature brass instruments. It is the only such piece by Vivaldi.
The rarity of Vivaldi’s Concerto for Two Trumpets stems from the difficulties inherent in the Baroque trumpet. At the time, trumpets were natural, or valveless. The instrument’s range was quite restricted, and much depended on the performer’s lip control, as with the modern bugle.
As with the great majority of Vivaldi’s concertos, this one begins with a quick and sparkling movement to catch the attention of the audience and to showcase the bright tones of the solo trumpets. This is followed by a languid and very brief second movement, with fanfare-like passages from the soloists overlaying sustained string tones. For the final movement, Vivaldi returned to brilliant mode with quick energy and intricate passages for the soloists.
- Program Note from Encyclopedia Britannica
The original work was written in C major as RV 537. It was transcribed to B-flat major by Philip Lang.
- Program Note from Worldcat
(Needed - please join the WRP if you can help.)
None discovered thus far.
To submit a performance please join The Wind Repertory Project
Works for Winds by This Composer
- Concerto for Two Flutes
- Concerto for Two Trumpets and Symphonic Band (arr. Lang) (1920?/1964)
- Concerto in B-flat (tr. Yeago) (<1742/2005)
- Concerto in C Major for Two Trumpets (arr. Rumbelow) (1996?)
- Concerto from "L'Estero armonico" (arr. Marlatt) (1711/2016)
- Concerto Grosso in D minor (arr. Cacavas)
- Concerto in C
- Four Seasons, The (1725)
- Italian Masters Suite (arr. Gordon) (1963)
- Largo (arr. Hautvast)
- Piccolo Concerto in C major (arr. Bělohoubek) (1728-29/)
- Piccolo Concerto in C major (arr. Reed) (1728-29/1962/1969)
- Viva Vivaldi (arr. Jenkins) (1963)
- Winter from "The Four Seasons" (arr. Giroux) (1725/)
- Winter from "The Four Seasons" (arr. Slawson) (1725/2009)
- Schwarm, Betty. "Concerto for Two Trumpets in C Major." Britannica. Web. Accessed 30 May 2021
- Vivaldi, A.; Lang, P. . Concerto in B Flat for Two Trumpets and Symphonic Band : [F. IX, no. 1] [score]. Franco Colombo: New York, N.Y.