1. Declamato - Allegro - Presto
2. Elegy for Miles Davis - 10:30
E-flat Soprano Clarinet
B-flat Soprano Clarinet I-II
B-flat Bass Clarinet
E-flat Alto Saxophone I-II
B-flat Tenor Saxophone
E-flat Baritone Saxophone
B-flat Trumpet I-II-III
Horn in F I-II-III-IV
Percussion (4 players), including:
- Bass Drum
- Bongos (3)
- Chinese Blocks (4)
- Snare Drum
- Suspended Cymbals (3)
- Timbales (3)
- Wood Block
None discovered thus far.
The Trumpet Concerto was written in New York between April and June 1993 and is dedicated to Timothy Reynish. The work begins with a solemn declamatory 3/2 cadenza for the soloist; a short orchestral interlude leads to a 3/4 allegro, the pulse twice that of the cadenza, with spiky cross-rhythms alternating with the declamatory passage, followed by a faster 6/8.
A further cadenza ends the movement, and links to the second. This has the subtitle Elegy for Miles Davis, a deeply felt ballad accompanied by electric bass and band, with a central section with scope for improvisation. The ensuing vivo, 2/2, starts with a bold statement by the trumpet, its cross rhythms reminiscent of the opening allegro; an extended development of this for the orchestra is interrupted by the declamatory cadenza material, the solo trumpet supported by his colleagues in the orchestra, and the movement ends with a molto vivo coda of tremendous energy. The scoring is for wind ensemble with piano and harp.
- Program note by publisher
Commissioned by Timothy Reynish for Martin Winter and the RNCM Wind Orchestra, world premiere at BASBWE Conference, 17th September 1993.
- Audio: Reference recording. Ensemble and conductor unknown
- Audio CD: University of Western Ontario Wind Ensemble (Colleen Richardson, conductor)
- Audio CD: Royal College of Music Wind Orchestra (Timothy Reynish, conductor)
None discovered thus far.
To submit a performance please join The Wind Repertory Project
- The All-America Concert Band (Sioux City, Iowa) (Martin I. Gaines, conductor; Erik Mahon, trumpet) - 29 April 2023
- Gustavus Adolphus College (St. Peter, Minnesota) Wind Orchestra (James Patrick Miller, conductor; Steve Wright, trumpet) – 27 February 2016 (CBDNA 2016 North Central Division Conference, Ames, Iowa)
Works for Winds by This Composer
- Concerto for Ten Brass Players (1988)
- Concerto for Trumpet and Wind Orchestra (1993)
- Fanfare on a 16th Century Tune (1999)
- The Four Seasons (1991)
- Jazz Calendar (1964)
- Morning Music (1986)
- Reflections on a Sixteenth Century Tune (1999)
- Travel Notes 2 (1980)
- Bennett, R. (1993). Concerto for Trumpet and Wind Orchestra [score]. Novello: London.
- "CONCERTO FOR TRUMPET AND WIND ORCHESTRA by Sir Richard Rodney Bennett (Great Britain, 1936-2012)." WASBE. Web. (Featured as WASBE’s Composition of the Week, 28 November 2022). Accessed 3 January 2023