Concerto for Trumpet (Arutiunian)
Alexander Arutiunian (trans. Duker)
2. Allegro energico
3. Meno mosso
Solo Trumpet in Bb
Eb Soprano Clarinet
Bb Soprano Clarinet I-II
Eb Alto Clarinet
Bb Bass Clarinet
Eb Contra-Alto Clarinet
Alto Saxophone I-II
Bb Cornet I-II-III
Bb Trumpet I-II
Horn in F I-II-III-IV
Percussion I-II-III-IV, including:
- Bass Drum
- Snare Drum
None discovered thus far.
Arutiunian conceived the main theme for this concerto in 1943. Like most of his themes, it first came to him while he was asleep. He was encouraged to complete the work by a longtime friend, Zolak Vartasarian, who was principal trumpet in the Yerevan Opera Orchestra. Unfortunately, Vartasarian died in the war that same year, and the concerto was not completed until 1950. It was premiered then by Timofei Dokshizer in Moscow. The movements are Andante, Allegro energico, Meno mosso, and Allegro. A long virtuoso cadenza brings the concerto to an abrupt but stylish close.
Since Arutiunian composed this work (also known as Concerto in A flat), it has continued to grow in popularity. In 1990-1991, for example, it led a list of eighty-two solos performed by approximately 150 professional, faculty, and student members of the International Trumpet Guild.
- Program Note from Program Notes for Band
- Dallas Wind Symphony, Howard Dunn conductor
- Syracuse University, Vince DiMartino soloist and John Laverty conductor
None discovered thus far.
To submit a performance please join The Wind Repertory Project
- Old Dominion University (Norfolk, Va.) Wind Ensemble (Brian Diller, conductor) – 20 November 2019
- Cornell University (Ithaca, N.Y.) Wind Symphony (Joseph Hermann, conductor) – 6 October 2019
- University of Minnesota (Minneapolis) Wind Ensemble (Emily Threinen, conductor; Marissa Benedict, trumpet) – 27 September 2019
- Texas Tech University (Lubbock) Concert Band (Eric Allen, conductor) – 29 April 2019
- Northwest Missouri State University Wind Symphony (John Bell, conductor; Delaney Lynam, trumpet) – 18 April 2019
- Hanover Wind Symphony (Montville, N.J.) (Matthew Paterno, conductor; Michael R. Baker, trumpet) – 10 February 2019
- Temple University (Philadelphia, Penn.) Wind Symphony (Patricia Cornett, conductor; Tony Prosk, trumpet) – 27 January 2019
- Johns Hopkins University (Baltimore, Md.) Peabody Wind Ensemble (Harland D. Parker, conductor; Josef Burgstaller, trumpet) – 29 September 2018
- Dallas (Tex.) Winds (Jerry Junkin, conductor; Ryan Anthony) – 16 January 2018
- Harding University (Searcy, Ark.) Wind Ensemble (Mike Chance, conductor; Devon Daniels, trumpet) – 16 November 2017
- Arkansas (Fayetteville) Winds Community Concert Band (Michael Ferguson, conductor) – 10 July 2017
- Indiana University (Bloomington) Wind Ensemble (Stephen W. Pratt, conductor) –20 April 2017
- Contra Costa Wind Symphony (Walnut Creek, Calif.) (Brad Hogarth, conductor; Mark Inouye, trumpet) – 5 March 2017
- Case Western Reserve University (Cleveland, Ohio) Symphonic Winds (Ryan Scherber, conductor; Rebecca Pfeiffer, trumpet) – 26 February 2017
- Catskill Valley Wind Ensemble (Oneonta, N.Y.) (Scott Rabeler, conductor; Frank Gabriel Campos, trumpet) - 3 May 2015
- Northshore Concert Band (Chicago) (Mallory Thompson, conductor; Robert Sullivan, trumpet) - 19 April 2015
- Illinois State University Wind Symphony (Martin H. Seggelke, conductor; Amy Gilreath, trumpet) - 4 March 2015
- Indiana Wind Symphony (Jacob Hook, trumpet; Charles Conrad, conductor) - 19 June 2012
- California State University, Fresno, Wind Orchestra (Gary P. Gilroy, conductor; Jennifer Broussard, trumpet) - 3 May 2012
- Indiana Wind Symphony (Natalie Dungey, trumpet; Charles Conrad, conductor) - 28 May 2011 and 10 June 2011
Works for Winds by this Composer
- Arutiunian, A.; Duker, G. (1990). Concerto for Trumpet and Symphonic Band [score]. Thompson: Rock Hill, S.C.
- Smith, Norman E. (2002). Program Notes for Band. Chicago: GIA Publications, pp. 21.