Concerto for Flute and Symphonic Band (Saul)
1. Grandioso - Allegro
2. Adagio con Gran Espressione
3. Vivace Giojoso
B-flat Soprano Clarinet I-II-III
B-flat Bass Clarinet
E-flat Alto Saxophone I-II
B-flat Tenor Saxophone
E-flat Baritone Saxophone
B-flat Trumpet I-II-III
Horn in F I-II-III-IV
- Bass Drum
- Marimba I-II
- Suspended Cymbal
None discovered thus far.
In late 2017, Lauren Nichols, a flute performance major at Fresno Pacific University in Fresno, California, and a protégé of Janette Erickson, principal flutist with the Fresno Philharmonic, was offered a solo appearance with the Fresno Pacific University Symphonic Band in the spring of 2019. I nonchalantly suggested that she could introduce a brand new flute concerto that I would compose for her, and she eagerly agreed to the proposal.
The work was hurriedly sketched in early spring of 2018. Its optimism and effusive joy reflect my hopes for the new generation of excellent musicians such as Lauren and the members of the Symphonic Band that grace our campus, community and world.
The opening movement is in a very traditional sonata-allegro form with a grand introduction, a sparkly main theme and a chorale-like second theme, all reflecting the joy and solemnity of the faith in Jesus Christ that is the cornerstone of our Fresno Pacific University community. The reflective slow movement ponders the sufferings of our Savior and the peace He thereby established with us and the world. The flamboyant jig that ends the concerto reflects Jesus Christ's last laugh at death. This seems so appropriate in a year when Passover and Easter are celebrated together as they originally were when Christ rose from the dead, and when Easter falls on April Fool's Day!
- Program Note by composer
(Needed - please join the WRP if you can help.)
None discovered thus far.
To submit a performance please join The Wind Repertory Project
- Fresno (Calif.) Pacific University Symphonic Band (Erik Leung, conductor; Lauren Nichols, flute) - 16 March 2019 (2019 Sutherland Wind Festival (Fresno, Calif.)
- Fresno (Calif.) Pacific University Symphonic Band (Erik Leung, conductor; Lauren Nichols, flute) - 15 March 2019 *Premiere Performance*
Works for Winds by This Composer
- Concerto for Flute and Symphonic Band (2018)
- Dance For Joy (1991)
- Epilogue (1976)
- Festive Overture (1983)
- From Alpha To Omega: Prelude And Fugue X (2008)
- Holocaust: A Silent Scream (1998)
- Nannie (2005)
- You Have Turned My Mourning into Dancing (1999)
- Heritage Encyclopedia of Band Music. "Walter Saul." Accessed 26 March 2019
- Walter Saul, personal correspondence, March 2019
- Walter Saul website Accessed 26 March 2019