Movements (played with pause between movements 1 and 2, and between movements 3 and 4)
1. Moderato - Allegro energico - Moderato - 4:45
2. Allegro Vivace - 2:02
3. Adagio - 4:55
4. Allegro - Allegro Vivace
Brass Quintet (Trumpet I-II, French Horn, Trombone, Tuba)
C Piccolo/Flute III
Bb Soprano Clarinet I-II-III
Bb Bass Clarinet
Bb Trumpet I-II
Horn in F I-II-III-IV
- Snare Drum
- Wood Block
None discovered thus far.
The Concerto 2010 is a four-movement work for the combination of brass quintet and wind ensemble, and in certain passages the relationshíp between the two groups is the traditional one of soloist and accompaniment. But quite frequently this relationship becomes instead a partnership, with different voices of the brass quintet mixed with single voices of the wind ensemble, and the interplay of these two ideas provides much of the material for this work.
The first movement begins with the wind ensemble playing a theme that is calm and reflective, and this opening theme provides much of the melodic and harmonic basis for all that follows. After this short introduction an energetic allegro introduces the brass quintet, and in the middle of this allegro section a jazz element is introduced, which is based on the opening intervals of the work. A return to this opening slow theme brings the movement to a close and a short transition leads to the second movement, which features the two trumpets of the brass quintet in many double tonguing passages. The use of mutes provides extra color possibilities.
Part two of the Concerto 2010 begins with a somber fugue in the clarinets, and a secondary theme then becomes the main theme for the last movements, which again is lively and energetic. After a cadenza featuring the brass quintet Concerto 2010 is concluded with a final reference to the opening theme.
- Program Note by composer
- Audio CD: Texas Christian University Wind Symphony (Bobby R. Francis, conductor; American Brass Quintet, soloists) - 2011
None discovered thus far.
To submit a performance please join The Wind Repertory Project
- Florida State University (Tallahassee, Fla.) Wind Ensemble (Patrick Dunnigan, conductor; FSU Faculty Brass Quintet) – 7 January 2020
- State University of New York, Potsdam, Crane Wind Ensemble (Brian K. Doyle, conductor; Potsdam Brass Quintet) – 25 April 2018
- University of Southern California Thornton Wind Ensemble (Sharon Lavery, conductor; USC Scholarship Brass Quintet) - 2 November 2014
Works for Winds by this Composer
- Concerto 2010 (2010)
- Concerto for Flute and Wind Ensemble (1981)
- Contemplation for Flugelhorn and Winds (2007)
- Double Concerto 2014 for Trumpet, Trombone and Wind Ensemble (2014/2020)
- Four Sketches (1989/1991)
- Magdalene (2018)
- Mini Variations on "Amazing Grace" (1987/1993)
- Three Miniatures for Tuba and Wind Ensemble (1990)
- Threnos (Plog)
- Heritage Encyclopedia of Band Music. "Anthony Plog." Accessed 3 November 2014
- Plog, A. (2010). Concerto 2010: For Brass Quintet and Wind Ensemble [score]. Editions Bim: Vuarmarens, Switzerland