Concertino for Flute, Bassoon, and Band
Duration: c. 9:30
Difficulty: V-VI (solo); IV (ensemble) (see Ratings for explanation)
Publisher: Aldo Forte Music Press
Cost: Score and Parts (print) - $200.00 | Score Only (print) - $30.00
Movements (played without pause)
3. Latin Moves
(Needed - please join the WRP if you can help.)
None discovered thus far.
The work is about nine minutes in length and is cast in four contrasting movements that are played virtually without pause. Each succeeding movement is faster than the previous one. Thus, the piece gains momentum as it progresses. Throughout the composition I have cast the soloists in a variety of configurations with each other as well as with the band. The work features the players in passages which run the gamut from the expressive to the ultra technical.
The first movement, I. Cavatina, is the lyrical movement of the set. The passages are mostly expressive with occasional florid ornamentations. II. Playful is lightly scored with some tutti interjections from the band. With its bouncy accompaniment, this movement has a decidedly neo-classical feel. Two short cadenzas end this movement. III. Latin Moves is driven by Latin rhythms. “Soft” Latin percussion along with muted brass add to the pop ambience and excitement of this movement without obstructing the delicate sound of the solo instruments. Finally, a brief accelerando gives way to the last movement, IV. Animato, an exuberant finale full of energy which recalls previously stated material.
The Concertino for Flute, Bassoon, and Band is dedicated to the Huntsville High School Band, Dr. David Spencer, Director, Cassie Gunter, flute, and Rebecca Dillard, bassoon. The ensemble commissioned the work specifically for the band.
- Program Note by World Association of Symphonic Bands and Ensembles (WASBE)
- Concertino for Flute, Bassoon and Band has been recommended as interesting, serious and distinctive music by members of the World Association of Symphonic Bands and Ensembles (WASBE).
None discovered thus far.
To submit a performance please join The Wind Repertory Project
Works for Winds by This Composer
- Canzonetta for Euphonium and Band
- Concertino for Flute, Bassoon, and Band (2006)
- Concerto for Horn
- Concerto for Soprano Saxophone and Band
- Cup of Christmas Tea, A
- Dance Rhapsody for Tuba and Band (2003/2018)
- Dance Scenes
- Dance Suite on Spanish and Latin Rhythms (1999)
- Danzas Brillantes
- Don Quijote from Dali
- Elegy and Dance for Oboe and Band
- March Olympia
- Impressionist Prints (2000)
- Northwest Passages
- Olympus - Four Mythological Legends
- Pastiche - Concerto Dances for Trombone and Band
- Piedmont Celebration, A
- Port City Celebration, A
- Riddle of the Sphinx, The
- Royal Triumph March
- Savannah River Overture
- Spanish Sketches for Brass Choir
- SPIRIT - Tone Pictures after the B2 Bomber
- Symphonic Scenes from "Romeo and Juliet"
- Symphony for the Millennium (2003)
- Synergy! (1999)
- Tensegrity - An Engineer's Suite
- Thunderbirds, The
- Van Gogh Portraits (2008)
- Vestida de Luto - Draped in Mourning Black
- Vincent’s Canvases
- Weather Vanes
- World Association of Symphonic Bands and Ensembles (WASBE) Accessed 31 July 2016