Colors of a New Day
B-flat Soprano Clarinet I-II
B-flat Bass Clarinet
E-flat Alto Saxophone
B-flat Tenor Saxophone
E-flat Baritone Saxophone
B-flat Trumpet I-II
Horn in F
- Crash Cymbals
- Suspended Cymbal
None discovered thus far.
Originally written for piano, Colors of a New Day was a second round finalist in the state-wide "Project XL" arts competition in Indiana. The piece was also a finalist in the First Frank Ticheli Composition Contest in 2006. It was arranged for concert band in 2005 and first performed by the Madison Consolidated High School Concert Band in Madison, IN. Colors of a New Day was presented by Tim Holtan of the West Point Military Academy Band as part of the publication "Teaching Music Through Performance" at the 2008 Midwest Conference.
-Program Note from publisher
Colors of a New Day is full of lyrical passages that should set well within the ranges with which most middle school or high school instrumentalists are comfortable. The accompaniment provides both a delicate harmonic structure for the melody and complementary counter-melodic material. For an additional source of variation the piece utilizes contrasting “chamber” ensembles, as the piece is based on just one original melody.
- Program Note from University of Texas Symphony Band concert program, 17 October 2018
- Audio CD: Kealing Middle School Wind Ensemble (Don Haynes, conductor) - 2010
- Alabama: Class C
- Kansas: III
- Louisiana: III
- Texas: III. Complete
To submit a performance please join The Wind Repertory Project
- University of Texas (Austin) Symphony Band (Cheldon Williams, conductor) – 17 October 2018
- Edison High School (Fresno, Calif.) Symphonic Band (Robert Madrid, conductor) - 17 April 2015 (2015 San Joaquin Valley (Calif.) Concert Band Invitational)
- Fort Zumwalt West (O'Fallon, Mo.) 8th Grade Concert Band (Andrew Jehre, conductor) - 14 May 2012
- Kealing Middle School (Austin, Tx.) Wind Ensemble (Don Haynes, conductor) – 16 December 2010 (2010 Midwest Clinic)
Works for Winds by This Composer
- Colors of a New Day (2009)
- Meacham, A. (2009). Colors of a New Day [score]. TRN Music: Alto, N.M.