Chorale and Capriccio
Cesar Giovannini (arr. Wayne Robinson)
Duration: c. 5:30
Difficulty: IV (see Ratings for explanation)
Publisher: Dorabet Music, through RBC
Cost: Score and Parts (print) - $70.00 | Score Only (print) - $10.00
E-flat Soprano Clarinet
B-flat Soprano Clarinet I-II-III
E-flat Alto Clarinet
B-flat Bass Clarinet
B-flat Contrabass Clarinet
E-flat Alto Saxophone I-II
B-flat Tenor Saxophone
E-flat Baritone Saxophone
B-flat Cornet/Trumpet I-II-III
Horn in F I-II-III-IV
Percussion I-II, including:
- Bass Drum
- Crash Cymbals
- Snare Drum
- Wood Block
None discovered thus far.
Chorale and Capriccio is in two movements played as one, beginning with an ostinato G which is heard in various registers and in four different guises. The chorale is immediately stated by the brasses in a sonorous and expressive manner. After the introduction of a secondary theme and its development, the first theme is restated.
After a short bridge passage for percussion, the capriccio enters, establishing a rather satirical mood. This alternates with fanfare-like brass figures; the entire movement then draws to a triumphant conclusions.
- Program Note from Program Notes for Band
This original concert piece has become well established in the concert band repertoire, an important musical work whose fresh writing displays an ageless quality that maintains its popularity with generations of musicians and listeners.
- Program Note from publisher
(Needed - please join the WRP if you can help.)
- Arkansas: III
- Minnesota: II
- Tennessee: IV
To submit a performance please join The Wind Repertory Project
- Karl L. King Municipal Band (Fort Dodge, Iowa) (Jerrold P. Jimmerson, conductor) - 10 July 2022
- McCracken Middle School (Skokie, Ill.) Band (Chip De Stefano, conductor) – 5 May 2017 (2017 Illinois SuperState Concert Band Festival)
- Clovis (Calif.) Community Band (Duane Weston, conductor) – 28 April 2013
Works for Winds by This Composer
- Chorale and Capriccio (1965)
- Festive Overture (Giovannini)
- Georgia Cakewalk
- Gettin' It Together
- Jubilance (score Robinson) (1971)
- Overture (The New Land)
- Overture in B-flat (arr. Robinson) (1966)
- Overture in C (Giovannini)
- Silver Sleigh (arr. Robinson) (1974)
- Sonatina for Band (Giovannini) (scored Robinson) (1969)
- Symphony in One Movement (arr. Robinson) (1972)
- Giovannini, G.; Robinson, W. (1965). Chorale and Capriccio [score]. S. Fox: New York.
- Smith, Norman E. (2002). Program Notes for Band. Chicago: GIA Publications, pp. 233.