Carnival of Venice
Giulio Briccialdi (ed. Frederick Wilkins, Anton Coppola, Scott R. Meister, Albert O. Davis)
This work bears the designation Opus 78. It has the subtitle Flute Solo with Band.
Year: ca. 1855 / 1958
Duration: c. 6:00
Difficulty: III (see Ratings for explanation)
Cost: Score and Parts (print) - $45.00
Solo Flute Solo
Solo B-flat Cornet or Baritone T.C.
Solo Trombone or Baritone B.C.
Solo Keyboard Mallet
B-flat Clarinet I-II-III
E-flat Alto Clarinet
B-flat Bass Clarinet
E-flat Alto Saxophone I-II
B-flat Tenor Saxophone
E-flat Baritone Saxophone
B-flat Cornet I-II-III
Horn in F I-II-III-IV
- Flute Solo, m.65: C trill should be a half step to Db, not D.
- Flute Solo, m.72: Last 16th note should be F natural, not F#.
- Courtesy of Lish Lindsey from John Wion website
The Carnival of Venice is a folk tune popularly associated with the words "My hat, it has three corners". A series of theme and variations has been written for a number of solo instruments, as "show off" pieces that contain virtuoso displays of double and triple tonguing, and fast tempos.
- Program Note from Wikipedia
None discovered thus far.
To submit a performance please join The Wind Repertory Project
- Raritan Valley Symphonic Band (Bridgewater Township, N.J.) (Christopher G. Sumner, conductor) – 23 April 2019 (ACB 2019 Annual Convention (Woodcliff Lake, N.J.))
- University of Arizona (Tucson) Wind Symphony (Gregg I Hanson, conductor; Kate Nichols, flute) – 26 April 2016
- Murray (Ky.) State University Symphonic Wind Ensemble (Dennis L. Johnson, conductor; Stephanie Jutt, flute) – 22 February 2006 (CBDNA 2006 Southern Division Conference, Nashville, Tenn.)
Works for Winds by This Composer
- Capriccio for Flute
- Carnival of Venice (tr. Wilkins; arr. Coppola) (ca. 1855/1958)
- Briccialdi, G.; Wilkins, F.; Coppola, A. (1958). The Carnival of Venice: Flute Solo with Band ; Op. 78 [score]. Ludwig Music: Cleveland, Ohio.
- Carnival of Venice (song), Wikipedia Accessed 26 April 2016
- Heritage Encyclopedia of Band Music. "Giulio Briccialdi." Accessed 26 April 2016
- Score Sample