English Horn (optional)
B-flat Soprano Clarinet I-II-III
B-flat Bass Clarinet
B-flat Contrabass Clarinet (or E-flat Contra-Alto Clarinet)
B-flat Soprano Saxophone
E-flat Alto Saxophone I-II
B-flat Tenor Saxophone
E-flat Baritone Saxophone
B-flat Trumpet I-II-III
Horn in F I-II-III-IV
Percussion I-II-III-IV, including:
- Bass Drum (large)
- Crash Cymbals
- Finger Cymbals
- Snare Drum
- Suspended Cymbal
- Tenor Drum
- Triangle (small)
None discovered thus far.
Canticles (2022) was commissioned to honor Dr. Eric Wilson's 15 years of service and dedication as the director of bands at the Baylor University School of Music. The commission consortium, organized by associate director of bands Dr. Isaiah Odajima, includes many of Dr. Wilson's friends, colleagues and students.
My Alleluias are first presented in a playful modulating tune, played by the clarinets. I then develop the tune in four variations featuring the flutes, oboes, horns, euphonium and saxophones.
My Prayers begin softly with an affectionate alto saxophone solo, and mellow church organ chords played by the tenor and baritone saxophones, clarinets and bassoons. The music is modally developed, culminating in a passionate C major variation on the prayer theme played by the full band.
My Hosannas are initially shouted by the trumpets and marimba. The woodwinds join the ceremony playing boisterous chords, before the music settles into a spirited dance. The brass becomes increasingly possessed, playing relentlessly chromatic chords, drawing everyone into a climactic frenzy.
- Program Note by composer
(Needed - please join the WRP if you can help.)
None discovered thus far.
To submit a performance please join The Wind Repertory Project
- Southeastern Louisiana University (Hammond) Wind Symphony (Robert M. Schwartz, conductor) - 5 May 2022
- McLennan College (Waco, Texas) Wind Ensemble (Jon Conrad, conductor) - 20 April 2022
- Texas Community College Band Directors Association All-State Band | TMEA Conference in San Antonio, Texas (Eric Wilson, conductor) - 12 February 2022
- Baylor University (Waco, Tx.) Wind Ensemble (Eric Wilson, conductor) - 7 February 2022 *Premiere performance*
Works for Winds by This Composer
- Canticles (2022)
- Circus Overture (as transcriber) (2015)
- Coast of Dreams (2014)
- Manifestos (2019)
- Masks and Machines (2015)
- Masks and Machines (chamber instrumentation) (2015/2020)
- Mavericks (2016)
- Meditation at Lagunitas (2014)
- Mondrian's Studio (2019)
- Point Blank (2010)
- Point Blank (Chamber instrumentation) (2010/2020)
- Salt of the Earth (2012)
- The Spellbook (2019)
- Three Futurist Symphonies
- Velocity Festivals. See: Coast of Dreams
- Yellow Red Blue (2021)
- Paul Dooley website Accessed 6 February 2022