Subtitle: For Bass Trombone and Wind Orchestra
Solo Bass Trombone
C Piccolo/Flute III
E-flat Soprano Clarinet
B-flat Soprano Clarinet I-II-III
B-flat Bass Clarinet
E-flat Alto Saxophone I-II
B-flat Tenor Saxophone I-II
E-flat Baritone Saxophone
B-flat Trumpet I-II-III
Horn in F I-II-III-IV
- Bass Drum
- Crash Cymbals
- Snare Drum
- Tenor Drum
- Tubular Bells
None discovered thus far.
Canticles is a welcome addition to the bass trombone solo repertoire. Johan de Meij has created a very melodic one-movement solo piece for this noble instrument, superbly supported by the wind orchestra. An impressive show piece for the mature soloist!
- Program note by publisher
There were quite a few good reasons for me to write a solo concerto for bass trombone and wind orchestra: in the first place, to commemorate my 35 years of friendship with bass trombone player Ben van Dijk, which coincides with my 30-year jubilee as a professional musician; my desire to contribute to the solo literature for bass trombone -- there is a lack of lyrical compositions in which the vocal capacities of the instrument are fully utilized; and last but not least as an in memoriam for Ben’s father Piet van Dijk (1920-2003). He was a musician in heart and soul and a wonderful person. As a trombone and euphonium teacher he played an essential role in my later career as a musician, for which I am still grateful. An ambitious international trombone festival became the venue for the world premiere: Slide Factory 2007, organized in Rotterdam by the New Trombone Collective, ideal ambassadors for mode trombone literature.
The actual creation of Canticles was an inspiring experience, working closely as I did with Ben van Dijk. I am grateful to him for his excellent suggestions, his passion and craftsmanship, and I am sure this piece will find its way to the performing arena!
Canticles was commissioned by the Dutch Composers Fund Fonds voor de Scheppende Toonkunst at the request of the New Trombone Collective. The world premiere took place on May 6th, 2007, in the Laurens Church in Rotterdam during Slide Factory 2007, performed by Ben van Dijk and the Marine Band of the Royal Netherlands Navy conducted by Ivan Meylemans.
- Program note by composer
- Audio CD: Orquestra de Vents Filharmonia (Jose R. Pascual-Vitaplana, conductor; Ben van Dijk, bass trombone) - 2011
None discovered thus far.
To submit a performance please join The Wind Repertory Project
- California Polytechnic State University, San Luis Obispo, Wind Ensemble (Andrew McMahan, conductor; Rose Doylemason, trombone) – 15 April 2016
- Santa Barbara City College Concert Band (Eric C. Heidner, conductor; Kearney Vander Sal, bass trombone) - 12 May 2013
- Aosta Wind Orchestra (Walter Chenuil, conductor; Stefano Belotti, bass trombone)
Works for Winds by this Composer
- African Harmony (2017)
- Aladdin Suite (as arranger)
- Aquarium (1991)
- At Kitty O'Shea's (2011)
- Canticles (2007)
- Celtic Classics (2016)
- Ceremonial Fanfare
- Clair de lune (as arranger) (1890/1905/2017)
- Cloud Factory (2011)
- Continental Overture
- Copacabana (as arranger)
- Echoes of San Marco (2016)
- Edgar (as arranger) (1889/2008)
- Extreme Make-over (2004)
- Extreme Beethoven
- Fellini (2015)
- Festive Hymn (2007)
- Fifty Shades of E (2016)
- Highlights from "Riverdance" (as arranger) (1994/2014)
- Highlights from the Seville Suite (as arranger) (1992/2011)
- Honky Tonk Ragtime (as arranger) (1985)
- Jazz Suite No. 2 (as arranger) (post-1956/1994)
- Joropo (as arranger)
- Jupiter Hymn (as arranger)
- Klezmer Classics
- La Fanciulla del West (as arranger) (1910/2008)
- La Quintessenza
- Les Papillons (as editor)
- Loch Ness (1988)
- March to Mars (as arranger) (1987)
- Musical Highlights from "Chess" (as arranger) (1993)
- Pavane pour une infante défunte (as arranger) (1899/1991)
- Phantom of the Opera (as arranger)
- Polish Christmas Music, Part I
- Romeo and Juliet (as arranger) (1935/1990)
- Songs from the Catskills (2012)
- Spring (2010)
- Star Wars Saga (as arranger) (1987)
- Suite for Variety Orchestra (as arranger) (post 1956/1994)
- Summer (2013)
- Symphony No. 1, "Lord of the Rings"
- Symphony No. 2, "The Big Apple"
- Symphony No. 3, "Planet Earth"
- Symphony No. 4, "Sinfonie der Lieder"
- Symphony No. 5, "Return to Middle Earth" (2019)
- UFO Concerto (2012)
- T-Bone Concerto (1996)
- Te Deum (as transcriber) (1900/2010)
- Two-Bone Concerto (2016)
- Teddy Trombone (as arranger)
- Venetian Collection, The
- Via Claudia (2012)
- Wind in the Willows
- Windy City Overture
- Witches' Sabbath, The (as arranger)
- The Woman in White (as arranger) (2006)
- Meij, J. (2007). Canticles: For Bass Trombone and Wind Orchestra [score]. Amstel Music: Amsterdam.