Full Score in C
Eb Soprano Clarinet
Bb Soprano Clarinet
Bb Bass Clarinet
Horns in F I-II-III-IV
Trumpet in Bb (or C) I-II-III-IV
Piano (acoustic or digital)
Percussion (4 players), including:
- Bass Drum (small, medium, and very large)
- Piccolo Snare Drum
- Ride Cymbal (medium and large)
- Snare Drum (medium and large)
- Splash Cymbals (two, 8 and 10 inch)
None discovered thus far.
During the composition of the Metropolis Symphony, I created a work inspired by another foe of Superman: Bizarro (created by Lex Luthor's duplicating ray) is an imperfect copy of Superman, with spiky black hair and Frankenstein-like features. My nine-minute composition Bizarro is scored for woodwinds, large brass section, piano, electric bass, and a sizable percussion battery that includes three rock and roll drummers. Bizarro inhabits a musical world without strings, and revels in the brash energies of rock and big band jazz, propelled on his course by a fast tempo and rhythmic excitement. Melodic fragments coalesce, contrapuntally, into a swinging yet menacing little theme that is previewed by the flutes and piccolo, taken up by a solo trumpet, and finally performed in a virtuoso canon for three trombones and four trumpets. Volume and intensity keep building as the monstrous Bizarro careens out of control.
- Program Note by Michael Daugherty
None discovered thus far.
To submit a performance please join The Wind Repertory Project
- University of Oregon (Eugene) Wind Symphony (Jason Silveira, conductor) – 23 November 2019
- University of Cape Town (Rondebosch, South Africa) (Alexander Fokkens, conductor) - 24 April 2018
- Johns Hopkins University (Baltimore, Md.) Peabody Wind Ensemble (Harland D. Parker, conductor) – 28 April 2017
Works for Winds by this Composer
- American Gothic (tr. Galyen) (2013/2019)
- Asclepius (2007)
- Alligator Alley (2003)
- Bells for Stokowski (2002)
- Bizarro (1993)
- Brooklyn Bridge (2005)
- Dead Elvis (1999)
- Desi (1991)
- Labyrinth of Love (2012)
- Ladder to the Moon (2005)
- Lost Vegas (2011)
- Motown Metal (1994)
- Niagara Falls (1997)
- Of War and Peace (2017)
- On the Air (2012)
- Raise the Roof (2007)
- Red Cape Tango (tr. Spede) (1993/1999)
- Reflections on the Mississippi for Tuba and Band (2013)
- Rio Grande (2015)
- Rosa Parks Boulevard (2001)
- Songs from a Silent Land (2019)
- UFO (2000)
- Vulcan (2014)
- Winter Dreams (2015)
- McCutchan, Ann. (1999). The muse that sings: composers speak about the creative process. New York: Oxford University Press.
- McGarvey, Timothy D. (1987) “Desi, Bizzaro, and Motown Metal: The Wind and Percussion Music of Michael Daugherty.” D.M.A. dissertation, University of Cincinnati. 184 p.
- Scott, Judson. (2003). "Michael Daugherty" from A Composer's Insight, Volume One." Galesville, MD: Meredith Music.
- Stotter, Douglas. "Bizarro." In Teaching Music through Performance in Band. Volume 11, Compiled and edited by Richard Miles, 867-875. Chicago: GIA Publications, 2018.