Beyond the Break
Year: 2010 / 2015
Duration: c. 5:00
Difficulty: I+ (see Ratings for explanation)
Publisher: Australian Music Centre
Cost: Score and Parts (print) - A$38.95
B-flat Soprano Clarinet (div.)
B-flat Bass Clarinet
E-flat Alto Saxophone (div.)
B-flat Tenor Saxophone
E-flat Baritone Saxophone
B-flat Trumpet (div.)
Horn in F (div.)
- Bass Drum
- Suspended Cymbal
- Vibraphone (or Bass Metallophone)
None discovered thus far.
Beyond the Break was commissioned by Scotch Oakburn College Junior School, Launceston Tasmania. It incorporates technique exercises for each instrument within an extended soundscape. Most of the unusual sounds and effects have developmental value. Others, like bowing the glockenspiel are simply too cool to omit.
The piece is in three sections reflecting a beach experience: 1. Floating on the swell (out beyond where the waves break) 2. A dark shadow passes over the sea floor (a scary moment when imagination goes into overdrive) and 3. Whew! It was only my brother (relief and return to relaxation). It concludes with a free-time soundscape: memories and impressions of real and imagined experiences, drifting through an almost asleep mind, perhaps on the ride home.
- Program Note from publisher
Rather than 1st and 2nd parts for instruments which an ensemble is likely to have several players, Beyond the Break has 'Essential' parts (necessary for the structure and harmony) and 'Tricky' parts (not necessary, but with more challenges), recognising that most bands have players with a range of experience and ambition.
The piece is flexibly scored, in that while few instruments cover the same part, many combinations will work. Thus each ensemble combination will cover different parts. Texturally, then, it is somewhat more complex than comparably graded repertoire.
None discovered thus far.
To submit a performance please join The Wind Repertory Project
Works for Winds by This Composer
- Beyond the Break (2010/2015)
- even in the city you can see stars (2009)
- Leather Concertino
- Musings on a Bach Sarabande (2003/2018)
- On Power
- Walking in the Labyrinth (2016)
- Heritage Encyclopedia of Band Music. "Karlin Greenstreet Love." Accessed 13 February 2021
- The Horizon Leans Forward…, compiled and edited by Erik Kar Jun Leung, GIA Publications, 2021, p. 397.
- "Karlin Greenstreet Love : Represented Artist." Australian Music Centre. Web. Accessed 13 February 2021
- Love, K. (2010). Beyond the Break : For Concert Band [score]. Australian Music Centre: Grosvenor Place, New South Wales.