Belah Sun Woman
Subtitle: A project piece for developing band
1. Belah the Warrior Sun Woman – 0:55
2. In the Beginning of Time – 0:55
3. Kundu, Lizard Man – 1:40
4. Battle! – 2:00
5. Light the Earth – 3:00
B-flat Soprano Clarinet I-II
B-flat Bass Clarinet
E-flat Alto Saxophone I-II
B-flat Tenor Saxophone
E-flat Baritone Saxophone
B-flat Trumpet I-II-III
Horn in F
- Bass Drum
- Crash Cymbals
- Snare Drum
- Suspended Cymbal
None discovered thus far.
Belah Sun Woman is a work in five movements that is inspired by an Indigenous narrative not attributed to any specific people, that tells of the birth of the sun.
The first movement paints the character of the fierce antagonist with a battery of percussion. The second movement sets the scene, describing a world with little light. There is much fear and tension amongst the people who live at this time; this movement features the brass section. The third movement presents the protagonist, a much loved, heroic personality whose character is peppered by joyous woodwinds in triple meter. In the fourth movement, there is a battle between our two main characters. Hear this, as you will: a fight for freedom, a confrontation for truth, or a struggle to gain peace. This movement features the percussion section and allows them to improvise and explore the colors of their instrument.
The fifth and final movement brings the whole band together and contains many independent lines. This movement brings our narrative to a close and is inspired by the vision of the first sunrise on Earth.
Each movement is interspersed with a series of sequential lesson plans, activities, and games to build the students' musical skills necessary to perform this work.
- Program Note from publisher
- Audio CD: A Project Piece for Developing Band
None discovered thus far.
To submit a performance please join The Wind Repertory Project
- University of Nebraska (Lincoln) Snider Concert Band (Scott Walker, conductor) - 25 April 2021
- Queensland Wind and Brass (Brisbane, Aus.) (Alisa Jones, conductor) – 2 May 2015
Works for Winds by This Composer
All Wind Works
- Belah Sun Woman (2014)
- The Blessing of Light (2019)
- The Creation of Faith. See: Symphony No. I
- Devotion (2019)
- Earthshine (Flex instrumentation) (2014)
- Into the Sun (2017)
- Letter from Sado (2014)
- Majesty. See: Salon Morisot
- Peace Dancer (2017)
- Salon Morisot (2019)
- Soulström (2010/2019)
- Symphony No. I (2019)
- The Creation of Faith (2019)
- Terpsichorean Dances (2009)
- 13 Moons (Flex instrumentation) (2017)
- Twist (2013)
- Whirlwind (2006)
- Blackshaw, J.; Battisti, F. (2014). Belah Sun Woman: A Project Piece for Developing Band [score]. GIA Publications: Chicago, Ill.
- The Horizon Leans Forward..., compiled and edited by Erik Kar Jun Leung, GIA Publications, 2021, p. 267.
- Belah Sun Woman website Accessed 1 January 2021