Be Thou My Vision (arr Cross)
Irish hymn arranged by Travis J Cross
(Needed, please join the WRP if you can help.)
None discovered thus far.
Be Thou My Vision incorporates a traditional Irish melody found in the 1909 edition of Old Irish Folk Music and Songs. In 1927, the tune was harmonized and matched with the ancient Irish hymn text with which it has come to be so closely associated today.
This arrangement for wind band seeks to capture the humble simplicity and deep faith represented by the hymn text. The hymn tune is heard three times in the piece -- once with light accompaniment, once with traditional harmonization, and finally in a rich and powerful statement of victory and joy. All vocal parts are optional and cued in wind instruments.
Commissioned by the St. Olaf Band, Northfield, Minn., Dr. Timothy Mahr, conductor, Be Thou My Vision was premiered on the band’s 1999 winter concert tour with the composer conducting. The Minnesota Symphonic Winds performed the work at the 2002 Minnesota Music Educators Association Mid-winter Inservice Clinic, and the Northshore Concert Band performed the work at the 2005 Midwest Clinic.
-Program Note from Heritage Encyclopedia of Band Music
- Indiana: ISSMA SENIOR BAND GROUP III
- Mississippi: II-A
To submit a performance please join The Wind Repertory Project
- Concordia University (River Forest, Ill.) University Band (Richard R. Fischer, conductor) – 8 November 2019
- Syracuse (N.Y.) University Wind Ensemble (Bradley P. Ethington, conductor) – 1 October 2019
- Gustavus Adolphus College (St. Peter, Minn.) Wind Symphony (James Patrick Miller, conductor) - 10 March 2018
- Washington and Lee University (Lexington, Va.) Wind Ensemble (Christopher Dobbins, conductor) – 4 November 2017
- Wisconsin Lutheran College (Milwaukee) Concert Band (Terry S. Treuden, conductor) – 6 October 2017
- University of Illinois (Urbana-Champaign) Summer Band (Jeananne Nichols, conductor) - 27 July 2017
- University of California, Los Angeles, (UCLA) Wind Ensemble (Ian Richard, conductor) – 2 March 2016
- Michigan Intercollegiate Honor Band (John L. Whitwell, conductor) - 2014
- San Luis Obispo (Calif.) Wind Orchestra (William V. Johnson, conductor; Cuesta Master Chorale) - 7 December 2007
Works for Winds by this Composer
- Alleluia (as arranger) (1997/2004)
- And the grass sings in the meadows (2011)
- Be Thou My Vision (as arranger) (1999)
- Dawning Day (2006)
- Elegy (2009)
- Everlasting Light (2008)
- Further Adventures of the Cowboy Kid and His Trust Sidekick Carlos, The (2004)
- Le vent de tristesse (2002)
- Let the Amen Sound (2012)
- Looking at the Stars (2010)
- Lullaby (2013)
- Memento (2011)
- Morning Song (2000)
- Music Aurea (2018)
- Rizzendo (2008)
- Short Essay (2003/2009)
- Things That Never Were (2010)
- Tribute (2007)
- Yesterdance (2016)
- Cross, T. (2004). Be Thou My Vision: Traditional Irish Tune [score]. Boosey & Hawkes: New York.
- Heritage Encyclopedia of Band Music. "Travis J. Cross." Accessed 27 May 2015.