Away in a Manger (arr Wallace)
Traditional, arranged by Tom Wallace
This article is a stub. If you can help add information to it,
please join the WRP and visit the FAQ (left sidebar) for information.
Duration: c. 2:50
Difficulty: IV (see Ratings for explanation)
Original Medium: Carol
Publisher: Arrangers Publishing Co.
Cost: Score and Parts (print) - $70.00 | Score Only (print) - $10.00
B-flat Soprano Clarinet I-II-III
E-flat Alto Clarinet
B-flat Bass Clarinet
E-flat Contra Alto Clarinet
B-flat Contrabass Clarinet
B-flat Soprano Saxophone
E-flat Alto Saxophone I-II
B-flat Tenor Saxophone
E-flat Baritone Saxophone
B-flat Trumpet I-II-III
Horn in F I-II
(percussion detail desired)
None discovered thus far.
Here's an interesting rendition of the familiar carol. After a straightforward presentation of the tune, a lightly syncopated, upbeat theme follows, giving you a chance to work contemporary sounds into your concert program.
- Program Note from publisher
Away in a Manger is a Christmas carol first published in the late nineteenth century and used widely throughout the English-speaking world. In Britain, it is one of the most popular carols; a 1996 Gallup Poll ranked it joint second] The two most-common musical settings are by William J. Kirkpatrick (1895) and James R. Murray (1887).
The earliest known publication, in The Myrtle in 1884, ascribed the lyrics to German Protestant reformer Martin Luther, explicitly referencing his 400th birthday (which was in 1883). For many years this attribution continued to be made. However, this attribution appears to be false: the hymn is found nowhere among Luther's works. It has been suggested that the words were written specifically for Luther's 400th anniversary and then credited to the reformer as a marketing gimmick.
- Program Note from Wikipedia
None discovered thus far.
To submit a performance please join The Wind Repertory Project
- Andrews University (Berrien Springs, Mich.) Wind Symphony (Byron Graves, conductor) - 4 December 2021
- Ripon (Wisc.) College Symphonic Wind Ensemble (Kurt Dietrich, conductor) – 10 December 2017
- Illiana Christian High School (Lansing, Ill.) Combined Bands (Patricia Menninga, conductor) – 18 December 2012
Works for Winds by This Composer
- Allegro Barbaro (as arranger) (1911/1995)
- Atomic Dog (as arranger)
- Away in a Manger (as arranger) (2012)
- Clair de Lune (as arranger) (1890/1905/1995)
- Divinum Mysterium (as arranger) (2006)
- Fantasy on a Flemish Carol (as arranger) (2011)
- Feliz Navidad (as arranger) (1970)
- The Genius of Paul Simon (as arranger)
- Good King Wenceslas (as arranger) (1998)
- Happy Xmas (War is Over) (as arranger) (2010)
- The Holly and the Ivy (as arranger) (2015)
- House of Horrors (as arranger) (1992)
- I Wonder as I Wonder (as arranger)
- Jesus, Jesus Rest Your Head (as arranger) (1993)
- March of the Toys/Toyland (as arranger) (1903/1995)
- Midnight Sleighride (as arranger) (1933-1934/2002)
- Morning Has Broken (as arranger)
- On This Day (as arranger) (2010)
- Pat-A-Pan (as arranger) (1720/2001)
- The Promise (as arranger)
- School's Out (as arranger)
- Shake a Tail Feather (as arranger)
- Away in a Manger, Wikipedia Accessed 25 December 2015