Away in a Manger (arr Davis)
B-flat Soprano Clarinet I-II
B-flat Bass Clarinet
E-flat Alto Saxophone I-II
B-flat Tenor Saxophone
E-flat Baritone Saxophone
B-flat Trumpet I-II-III
Horn in F
Percussion I-II, including:
- Wind Chimes
None discovered thus far.
This sensitive and reflective treatment of the beloved carol has that unmistakable Mannheim Steamroller touch, filled with contemporary sounds and seasonal joy. This marvelous arrangement of the beloved carol builds from a soft and thinly scored opening to a powerful-sounding full band section, before returning to a quiet ending.
- Program Note from publisher
Away in a Manger is a Christmas carol first published in the late nineteenth century and used widely throughout the English-speaking world. In Britain, it is one of the most popular carols; a 1996 Gallup Poll ranked it joint second. The two most-common musical settings are by William J. Kirkpatrick (1895) and James R. Murray (1887).
The earliest known publication, in The Myrtle in 1884, ascribed the lyrics to German Protestant reformer Martin Luther, explicitly referencing his 400th birthday (which was in 1883). For many years this attribution continued to be made. However, this attribution appears to be false: the hymn is found nowhere among Luther's works. It has been suggested that the words were written specifically for Luther's 400th anniversary and then credited to the reformer as a marketing gimmick.
- Program Note from Wikipedia
None discovered thus far.
To submit a performance please join The Wind Repertory Project
- Coastal Communities Concert Band (San Diego, Calif.) (Tom Cole, conductor) – 8 December 2019
- Tualatin (Ore.) Valley Community Band (Kevin Soon, conductor) – 8 December 2019
- North Jersey Concert Band (Fairlawn) (Michael Roth, conductor) – 1 December 2017
- Atascadero (Calif.) Community Band (Keith Waibel, conductor) – 11 December 2016
- Tualatin Valley (Ore.) Community Band (Kevin Soon, conductor) – 13 December 2015
- WACO High School (Wayland, Iowa) Band – 12 December 2010
Works for Winds by This Composer
- Auld Lang Syne
- Away in a Manger (as arranger with Longfield) (2003)
- Cantique de Noel (as arranger)
- Carol of the Bells (as arranger; adapt. Longfield) (1904 [1914?]/2009)
- Celebration (arr. Longfield)
- Deck the Halls (as arranger with Longfield)
- Faeries (as arranger)
- Fanfare and Hark! The Herald Angels Sing (arr. Longfield)
- The First Noel (arr. Longfield)
- Good King Wenceslas (as arranger; adapt. Longfield) (1984/2007)
- Greensleeves (arr. Davis; ed. Longfield) (2011)
- Hark! The Herald Trumpets Sing (1988)
- Hallelujah (as arranger; adapt. Longfield) (1741/2004)
- The Holly and the Ivy (as arranger) (1988/1995)
- O Little Town of Bethlehem (as arranger; adapt. Longfield)
- Pat-a-Pan (as arranger)
- Stille Nacht (as arranger with Longfield)
- Stille Nacht (as arranger with Vinson) (1818/1985)
- Away in a Manger, Wikipedia Accessed 25 December 2015
- Davis, C.; Longfield, R. (2003). Away in a Manger: Traditional [score]. Dots and Lines, Ink: Omaha, Neb.