Ave Maria (trans Kreines)
Subtitle: 1882 Setting
Year: 1882 / 2006
Duration: c. 4:10
Difficulty: IV (see Ratings for explanation)
Original Medium: Choir
Publisher: Daehn Publications
Cost: Score and Parts (print) - $66.00 | Score Only (print) - $6.00
(Needed, please join the WRP if you can help.)
None discovered thus far.
The noble, sustained and somewhat dark style of Bruckner is prominent in this moving tribute. All the beautiful, rich textures, bold and surprising harmonies and deep religious conviction are effectively reflected. A magnificent representation using numerous combinations of instrumental colors and textures.
- Program Note by publisher
Ave Maria is a supplication to the Virgin Mary, drawn from the text of the annunciation. Bruckner's Ave Maria dates from 1861 and features three parts for female voice and four for male. It is one of the motets that are a staple of the choral repertory. The transcription assigns the voices primarily in consorts, assigning the female voices to the woodwinds and the male voices to the conical brass.
Ave Maria is a motet. Though the motet is mainly associated with the Medieval and Renaissance periods, composers of all periods wrote them. It is loosely defined as a vocal composition on a sacred Latin text, and next to the mass was seen as the highest form of sacred musical expression in earlier periods.
- Program Note Edwin Powell from Teaching Music Through Performance in Band
None discovered thus far.
- Florida: IV
To submit a performance please join The Wind Repertory Project
- Kingsburg (Calif.) High School Wind Ensemble (Michael Schofield, conductor) - 13 April 2018 (2018 San Joaquin Valley (Calif.) Concert Band Invitational)
Works for Winds by this Composer
- Adagio from Symphony No 7 (arr. Schmalz)
- Adagio from Symphony No 7 (arr. Walker)
- Antiphon (Bruckner) (arr. Gordon) (1976)
- Apollo March (arr. Leidzen) (1862/1951)
- Apollo March (arr. Rhodes) (1862/1986)
- Ave Maria (tr Buehlman) (1861)
- Ave Maria (trans. Kreines) (1882/2006)
- Ave Maria (ar Leinhart) (1861)
- Ave Maria (arr. Malecki) (1861)
- Ave Maria (ar Marlatt) (1861)
- Ave Maria (trans. Powell) (1861/2012)
- Ave Maria (tr Reid) (1861/2013)
- Cathedral Music (ar Daehn)
- Christus Factus Est (arr. Thurston) (1884/1999)
- Christus Factus Est (setting Wilds) (1884/2018)
- Hunt Scherzo from Symphony No 4
- Locus Iste (ar Van Grevenbroek)
- Mass No 2 in E minor
- Os Justi (arr. Doss) (1879/2004)
- Os Justi (arr. Forbes) (1879/2017)
- Os Justi (1879)
- Prayer and Alleluia (ar Marlatt)
- Symphony No 4, Movement 1 (ar Schmalz)
- Two Solemn Pieces (ar Thurston)
- Bruckner, A.; Kreines, J. Ave Maria (1882 Setting) [score]. Aeolus Music: Winter Park, Fla.
- Powell, Edwin. "Ave Maria." In Teaching Music through Performance in Band. Volume 9, edit. & comp. by Richard Miles, 128-132. Chicago: GIA Publications, 2013.