B-flat Soprano Clarinet I-II
B-flat Bass Clarinet
E-flat Alto Saxophone I-II
B-flat Tenor Saxophone
E-flat Baritone Saxophone
B-flat Trumpet I-II
Horn in F
Percussion I-II-III, including:
None discovered thus far.
Snaking through central Europe is a unique highway system called the Autobahn. What makes this highway special is the absence of speed limits. Your only hindrance is the performance ability of the vehicle you are driving.
In writing this piece, I wanted to focus less on the idea of speed and more on the freedom and exhilaration that one feels while driving on a road with no limitations. In the beginning of the work, fast cars whiz by (as imitated by the slide-gliss in the trombones) as the “driver” begins to accelerate onto the highway. Driving fast is a real thrill until they run into traffic. Honking horns and police sirens add to the frustration. The traffic eventually clears, though, and the driver puts the pedal to the metal and cruises off into the European countryside.
The work is dedicated to the students of the Glenn C. Jones Middle School Honor Band and their director, Dr. Tonya Millsap, whose ideas where the driving force behind this piece. A special thanks also goes to Jake Marbury who gave us the title for the work.
– Program Note by composer
None discovered thus far.
To submit a performance please join The Wind Repertory Project
- Texas Tech University (Lubbock) University Band (Pershauna Johnson, conductor) - 24 April 2022
- University of Wisconsin Eau Claire Symphony Band (Phillip A. Ostrander, conductor) - 13 December 2020
- Ball State University (Muncie, Ind.) Campus Band (Madison Argo, conductor) - 11 November 2020
- Shenandoah Conservatory (Winchester, Va.) Concert Band (Keith Taylor, conductor) - 5 March 2020
- Smoky Hill High School (Aurora, Colo.) Symphonic Winds (Zak Ruffert, conductor) – 26 April 2019
- Bullard High School (Fresno, Calif.) Symphonic Band (Jacob Cardona, conductor) – 12 April 2019 (2019 San Joaquin Valley (Calif.) Concert Band Invitational)
- Granite Ridge Intermediate School (Fresno, Calif.) Symphonic Band (Jose Vargas, conductor) – 12 April 2019 (2019 San Joaquin Valley (Calif.) Concert Band Invitational)
- Bullard (Calif.) High School Symphonic Band (Jacob Cardona, conductor) - 17 March 2019 (2019 Sutherland Wind Festival (Fresno, Calif.)
- University of British Columbia (Vancouver) Concert Winds (Christian Reardon MacLellan, conductor) – 30 January 2019
- Granite Ridge Intermediate School (Clovis, Calif.) Symphonic Band (Jose Vargas, conductor) - 15 April 2016 (2016 San Joaquin Valley (Calif.) Concert Band Invitational)
- University of Missouri (Columbia) University Band (Gretchen Pohlman, conductor) – 15 October 2015
- Urbandale (Iowa) High School Wind Ensemble – 1 May 2014
Works for Winds by This Composer
- Autobahn (Flex instrumentation) (2008/2020)
- Café 512 (Flex instrumentation) (2010/2020)
- Jinx (Flex instrumentation) (2017/2020)
All Wind Works
- Acts of Congress (2020)
- Autobahn (2008)
- Café 512 (2010)
- A Familiar Sentiment (2017)
- Firefly (2008)
- Full Circle (2019)
- Halle's Light (2014)
- Jinx (2017)
- Joie de Vivre (2021)
- Portrait in Jade (2016)
- Redwood (2010)
- Riff Raff (2012)
- To All Those Who Enter
- The Wild Goose (2014)
- George, R. (2008). Autobahn : For Symphonic Winds & Percussion [score]. Fornine Music: [Cedar Park, Tx.?]
- Ryan George website
- Schwartz, Robert M. "Autobahn." In Teaching Music through Performance in Band. Volume 10, Compiled and edited by Richard Miles, 208-213. Chicago: GIA Publications, 2015.