Auld Lang Syne
B-flat Soprano Clarinet I-II-III
B-flat Bass Clarinet
E-flat Alto Saxophone
B-flat Tenor Saxophone
E-flat Baritone Saxophone
B-flat Trumpet I-II-III
Horn in F I-II-III-IV
(percussion detail desired)
None discovered thus far.
Robert Burns’ 1788 poem is based on a traditional Scottish ballad, which also served as bases for poems that predated Burns’, such as Robert Ayton and James Watson. The text invites us to remember days of yore. In addition to its appearance as we recognize the onset of the new year, the song is used across the world for other occasions such as funerals (Chile) and graduation ceremonies (Hungary).
For auld lang syne my dear,
For auld lang syne,
We’ll take a cup of kindness yet
For auld lang syne.
Auld lang syne.
Chip Davis founded Mannheim Steamroller in 1974 to showcase his interest in fusing modern popular and classical techniques. The group’s subsequent Christmas music albums have sold tens of millions of copies and have become among the most popular recordings in that genre.
-Program Note by San Luis Obispo Wind Orchestra concert program, 11 December 2011
None discovered thus far.
To submit a performance please join The Wind Repertory Project
- Beaver County (Penn.) Symphonic Wind Ensemble (Kevin Newton, conductor) - 8 December 2021
- Atascadero (Calif.) Community Band (Randy Schwalbe, conductor) – 9 December 2018
- Beaver County (Center Township, Penn.) Symphonic Wind Ensemble (Kevin Newton, conductor) – 5 December 2018
- Mercyhurst University (Erie, Penn.) Wind Ensemble (Scott Meier, conductor) – 18 November 2018
- Mid America Freedom Band (Kansas City, Mo.) (Lee Hartman, conductor) – 18 December 2016
- Kings Park Concert Band (Fairfax, Va.) (Rich Bergman, conductor) - 14 December 2014
- San Luis Obispo Wind Orchestra (Anthony Yi, conductor) - 7 December 2014
- Sobrato (San Jose, Calif.) Symphonic Band - 17 December 2013
- San Luis Obispo Wind Orchestra (Christopher J. Woodruff, conductor) - 11 December 2011
Works for Winds by This Composer
- Auld Lang Syne
- Away in a Manger (as arranger with Longfield) (2003)
- Cantique de Noel (as arranger)
- Carol of the Bells (as arranger; adapt. Longfield) (1904 [1914?]/2009)
- Celebration (arr. Longfield)
- Deck the Halls (as arranger with Longfield)
- Faeries (as arranger)
- Fanfare and Hark! The Herald Angels Sing (arr. Longfield)
- The First Noel (arr. Longfield)
- A Fresh Aire Christmas (as arranger, with Custer) (1990)
- Fum, Fum, Fum (as arranger, with Longfield) (2006)
- Good King Wenceslas (as arranger; adapt. Longfield) (1984/2007)
- Greensleeves (arr. Davis; ed. Longfield) (2011)
- Hark! The Herald Trumpets Sing (1988)
- Hallelujah (as arranger; adapt. Longfield) (1741/2004)
- The Holly and the Ivy (as arranger) (1988/1995)
- O Little Town of Bethlehem (as arranger; adapt. Longfield)
- Pat-a-Pan (as arranger)
- Stille Nacht (as arranger with Longfield)
- Stille Nacht (as arranger with Vinson) (1818/1985)
- Davis, C.; Burns, R.; Longfield, R. (2005). Auld Lang Syne [score]. Dots and Lines, Ink: Omaha, Neb.