Aria di Chiesa
Alessandro Stradella (trans. Thomas Fraschillo)
Subtitle: Pieta Signore
Year: c. 1833 / 2008
Duration: c. 4:25
Difficulty: II-1/2 (see Ratings for explanation)
Original Medium: Voice and chamber instruments
Publisher: C. Alan Publications
Cost: Score and Parts (print) - $68.00 | Score Only (print) - $12.00
B-flat Soprano Clarinet I-II-III
B-flat Bass Clarinet
E-flat Alto Saxophone I-II
B-flat Tenor Saxophone
E-flat Baritone Saxophone
B-flat Trumpet I-II
E-flat Horn or Alto I-II
Horn in F I-II-III-IV
None discovered thus far.
Pieta Signore is a church aria set to music by Alessandro Stradella. Like many arias intended for performance in a church setting, the lyrics deal with repentance and forgiveness. The Italian lyrics translate to:
Have mercy, Lord, on me in my remorse!
Lord, have mercy, if my prayer rises to you;
do not chastise me in your severity,
less harshly, always mercifully, look down on me.
Never let me be condemned to hell,
in the eternal fire by your severity.
- Program Note by Nikk Pilato
Aria Di Chiesa was likely written around 1833, in a musical climate that was obsessed with music of the Renaissance and Baroque periods. The likely first performance was on March 24, 1833, as part of the second Concert Historique. It was performed by a tenor soloist with two viols and two bass viols, and with a different text (Se I miei sospiri). It was enthusiastically received and has remained popular to this day for vocal and instrumental soloists alike.
- Program Note from Teaching Music through Performance in Band
None discovered thus far.
To submit a performance please join The Wind Repertory Project
- University of Minnesota (Minneapolis) Maroon Campus Band (Louis Vajda, conductor) -- 27 February 2023
- University of Georgia (Athens) Harper Band (Jeff Harper, conductor) - 22 January 2023
- Frostburg (Md.) State University Wind Ensemble (Ash Glenn, conductor) - 5 December 2021
- Messiah University (Mechanicsburg, Penn.) Symphonic Winds (Travis Weller, conductor) - 13 April 2021
- University of Colorado Boulder Concert Band (Matthew Dockendorf, conductor) – 22 October 2018
- University of North Carolina, Greensboro, Wind Ensemble (John R. Locke, conductor) – 27 September 2018
- The University of Southern Mississippi (Hattisburg) Wind Ensemble (Catherine Rand, conductor) – 23 February 2018 (CBDNA 2018 Southern Conference, Tampa, Fla.)
- University of Missouri, Kansas City, Wind Ensemble (Joseph Parisi, conductor) – 4 February 2016
- Northwestern University (Evanston, Ill.) Symphonic Band (Shawn Vondran, conductor) – 6 December 2015
- California State University Long Beach Concert Band (Nikk Pilato, conductor) - 5 December 2011
Works for Winds by This Composer
- Aria di Chiesa (arr. Fraschillo) (2009)
- Echo Concerto (1971)
- Pie Jesu
- Ginocchio, John. "Aria di Chiesa "Pietà Signore"." In Teaching Music through Performance in Band. Volume 11, Compiled and edited by Richard Miles, 135-144. Chicago: GIA Publications, 2018.
- Heritage Encyclopedia of Band Music. "Alessandro Stradella." Accessed 25 January 2016.
- Stradella, A.; Fraschillo, T. (2008). Aria di chiesa (Pietà Signor) [score]. C. Alan Publications: Greensboro, N.C.