Aria della battaglia
Andrea Gabrieli (ed. Scatterday)
Year: 1567 / 2008
Duration: c. 11:20
Difficulty: V (see Ratings for explanation)
Publisher: Alfred Publishing
Cost: Score and Parts (print) - $150.00; (digital) - $15.00 | Score Only (print) - $50.00; (digital) - $15.00
Sixteen numbered parts. Each part may be played by various modern instruments.
None discovered thus far.
The current edition of Gabrieli's Aria della battaglia was transcribed for the modern orchestra wind section from the Canto Dialoghi Musicali de Diversi Eccelentissimi Autori: Venice 1590. The [original] work is subtitled per sonare d'instrumenti da fiato (to be played by wind instruments) and is one in a long line of such descriptive works dating from the sixteenth century with no instrumental designation whatsoever. The popularity of this genre, however, did not fade with the close of the Renaissance. Rather, a rich development continued into the nineteenth century with Beethoven's Wellington's Victory, the so-called "Battle Symphony," being a latter-day example.
- Program Note by publisher
Aria della battaglia by Andrea Gabrieli is part of a series of multi-voiced and single- to multi-choir compositions edited for various instrumental ensembles. It encompasses a philosophy of rediscovering, editing and utilizing music as a flexible and timeless resource of modern performance potentiality. This work is a wonderful example of the wide range of wind orchestrations that help in defining the modern wind band with its various chamber through full resources that reside under the complete wind band umbrella.
- Program Note from score
- Audio CD: Eastman Wind Ensemble (Mark Davis Scatterday, conductor) - 2009
- Audio: Reference recording. Ensemble and conductor unknown
- Audio:Eastman Wind Ensemble (Mark Davis Scatterday, conductor) - 2009
None discovered thus far.
To submit a performance please join The Wind Repertory Project
- Eastman School of Music (Rochester, N.Y.) Wind Ensemble (Chris Unger, conductor) – 1 April 2019
- Boston (Mass.) University Wind Ensemble (David Martins, conductor) – 13 February 2018
- Eastman School of Music (Rochester, N.Y.) Wind Ensemble (Eric Laprade, conductor) – 3 April 2017
Works for Winds by this Composer
- Aria della Battaglia (tr. Ghedini) (1587/1954)
- Aria della battaglia (ed. Scatterday) (1587/2008)
- St. Marks (arr. Gardner) (1965)
- Gabrieli, A.; Scatterday, M. (2008). Aria della battaglia [score]. Alfred: United States.
- Heritage Encyclopedia of Band Music. "Andrea Gabrieli." Accessed 2 April 2017
- Perusal score