Ancient Airs and Dances
Subtitle: Suite 1, Balletto
Duration: c. 2:35
Difficulty: IV (see Ratings for explanation)
Original Medium: Lute
Publisher: Eighth Note Publications
Cost: Score and Parts (print) - $25.00 | Score Only (print) - $15.00
B-flat Trumpet I-II
Horn in F
None discovered thus far.
Ottorino Respighi's interest in music of the 16th century through the 18th century influenced many of his compositions, including this one. Based on transcriptions of early lute pieces, this arrangement is sure to please.
- Program Note by publisher
Respighi had a fascination with music of the distant past, both from Italy and elsewhere. His orchestral elaborations of early repertoire are among his most frequently heard works today, including his three suites Ancient Airs and Dances, what are essentially symphonic transcriptions of sixteenth and seventeenth century lute pieces.
Simone Molinari (1570-1633) composed numerous collections of sacred and secular vocal works, and, as a music publisher, brought out an important edition of Don Carlo Gesualdo's five-voice madrigals in 1603. Molinaro's Intavolatura di liuto libro primo is one of the most notable lute collections of its time. In that collection, his Balletto Detto "Il conte Orlando" appears as a triple-time dance. Respighi alters it to duple meter and in the middle provides contrast by transposing the melody into the minor mode, where the solo line is played dolce before the material is revisited in its original form by the full ensemble.
- Program Note from score
None discovered thus far.
- Texas: Miscellaneous Woodwind Ensemble Class 2
To submit a performance please join The Wind Repertory Project
- University of Wisconsin Eau Claire Symphony Band (Phillip A. Ostrander, conductor) - 20 November 2020
Works for Winds by This Composer
- Airs of the Court (arr. Longfield) (1931/2009)
- Ancient Airs and Dances, Suite I (tr. Johnson)
- Ancient Airs and Dances (arr. Marlatt) (2008)
- Belkis, Regina di Saba (arr. Kimura) (1931/1995)
- Belkis, Regina di Saba (trans. Nefs) (1931/2016)
- Bergomasca from Ancient Airs
- Church Windows (arr. Schyns) (1926/2007)
- Feste Romane (arr. Kimura) (2006)
- Feste Romane (arr. Schaefer) (1928/1976)
- The Fountains of Rome (arr. Junkin) (1916)
- The Fountains of Rome (tr. Odom) (1916)
- Huntingtower (1932)
- Huntingtower (orch. Cesarini) (1932/1987)
- Huntingtower (arr. Suzuki) (1932/2001)
- Huntingtower (ed. Binney) (1932/1991)
- I pini della via Appia (arr. Suijkerbuijk) (1924/1987)
- La Boutique Fantasque (as arranger; tr. Mahaffey) (2009)
- La Boutique Fantasque (as arranger) (1922)
- Pines of Rome (arr. Kimura) (1924)
- Pines of Rome (trans. Duker) (1924/1966)
- Pines of the Appian Way (ed. Leidzen) (1924/1948)
- Pini di Roma (arr. Grevenbroek) (1924/)
- Roman Festivals (arr. Patterson) (1928)
- Trittico Botticelliano (arr. Hanna) (1927/201?)
- Perusal score
- Respighi, O.; Marlatt, D. (2008). Ancient Airs and Dances : Suite 1 : Balletto [score]. Eighth Note Publications: [Markham, Ont.].