Gene Scheer (arr. Michael Brown)
This article is a stub. If you can help add information to it,
please join the WRP and visit the FAQ (left sidebar) for information.
Subtitle: From The War
Year: 1998 / 2009
Duration: c. 3:15
Difficulty: III (see Ratings for explanation)
Publisher: Hal Leonard
Cost: Score and Parts (print) - $50.00; (digital) - $50.00 | Score Only (print) - $5.00
C Piccolo/Flute I
B-flat Soprano Clarinet I-II-III
E-flat Alto Clarinet
B-flat Bass Clarinet
E-flat Alto Saxophone I-II
B-flat Tenor Saxophone
E-flat Baritone Saxophone
B-flat Trumpet I-II-III
Horn in F I-II
(percussion detail desired)
None discovered thus far.
Documentarian Ken Burns has created another masterpiece with his PBS series on World War II entitled The War. Here is the moving anthem featured throughout the series in a touching setting for band.
- Program Note from publisher
The War is a seven-part American documentary television mini-series about World War II from the perspective of the United States. The program was produced by American filmmakers Ken Burns and Lynn Novick, written by Geoffrey Ward, and narrated primarily by Keith David. It premiered on September 23, 2007.
American Anthem, written by Gene Scheer in 1998, was first performed by Denyce Graves for President Bill Clinton and Hillary Clinton at the Smithsonian Institution, launching President Clinton’s “Save America's Treasures” initiative. The song was subsequently performed with the United States Army Band and Chorus at the opening ceremonies of the Millennium celebration on the Mall in Washington, D.C. The song was also performed by Denyce Graves at the January 20, 2005 inauguration of George W. Bush. In 2007, the documentary filmmaker Ken Burns featured American Anthem (sung by Norah Jones) in the Emmy Award-winning World War II documentary for PBS, The War.
- Program Note from Wikipedia
None discovered thus far.
To submit a performance please join The Wind Repertory Project
- Arkansas Winds Community Concert Band (Bentonville) (Michael Ferguson, conductor) – 4 July 2017
- Augusta (Ga.) Concert Band (Jason Harriman, conductor) – May 2013
Works for Winds by This Composer
- American Anthem (arr. Brown) (1998/2008)
- American Anthem (arr. DeJonge) (1998/)
- American Anthem (arr. McGiboney) (1998)
- American Anthem (arr. Russo) (1998)
- Gene Scheer website Accessed 7 November 2021
- Scheer, G.; Brown, M. (2008). American anthem : Featured in The War, a Ken Burns Film [score]. Hal Leonard: Milwaukee, Wisc.
- The War (2007 TV series), Wikipedia Accessed 30 June 2017