Bb Soprano Clarinet I-II-III
Bb Bass Clarinet
Alto Saxophone I-II
Horns in F I-II-III-IV
Trumpet in Bb I-II-IV
Horns in F I-II
String Bass (Optional)
Percussion (6 players), including:
- Bass Drum
- Crash Cymbals
- Tambourine (2)
- Triangle (2)
- Vibrahone (optional)
- Xylophone (optional)
The following errors are in the PARTS:
- Clarinet III, m.57, note on beat 2 should be written A natural. Score is correct.
- Trumpet I, m.64, first three notes should be F natural, final three notes should be E natural. Score is correct.
- All, except Timpani, Percussion 1 and percussion 2, add crescendo from beat one of measure 164 through beat one of measure 165. Score is correct.
Alligator Alley is the nickname for the east-west stretch of Interstate 75 between Naples and Fort Lauderdale that crosses through the Florida Everglades National Park. This park is home to many endangered species, one of them being the American alligator. One might see an alligator along the roadside when driving along this stretch of road.
Michael Daugherty invokes two themes in this piece: the first called the “alligator’s theme” is played at the beginning with bassoons and evokes the slithering nature of the alligator; the second is called the “hunter’s theme” which is performed by the brass and includes sounds of an alligator snapping its jaws with the two pieces of wood struck together.
Program Note by Michael Daugherty
None discovered thus far.
- Georgia: IV
- Louisiana: III
- Massachusetts: II
- Michigan: Senior High B
- Texas: III. Complete
To submit a performance please join The Wind Repertory Project
- Grand Street Campus Wind Ensemble (New York) (Jeff W. Ball, conductor) – 15 April 2019
- University of Iowa (Iowa City) University Band (Joshua Neuenschwander, conductor) - 1 April 2019
- San Luis Obispo County (Calif.) High School Honor Band (Jennifer Martin, conductor) – 13 February 2019
- University of California, Los Angeles, Symphonic Band (Tyler Farrell, conductor) – 7 December 2018
- Kent State (Ohio) Symphony Band (John Franklin, conductor) – 7 December 2018
- Shenandoah Conservatory (Winchester, Va.) Concert Band (Keith Taylor, conductor) – 13 November 2018
- West Virginia University (Morgantown) Symphonic Band (Jay Drury, conductor) – 13 November 2018
- Denham Springs High School (Baton Rouge, La.) Concert Band (Carlye Latas, conductor) - 3 May 2018
- University of Minnesota (Minneapolis) Maroon Campus Band (Cassandra Bechard, conductor) – 30 April 2018
- Granite Ridge Intermediate School (Fresno, Calif.) Symphonic Band (Jose Vargas, conductor) - 13 April 2018 (2018 San Joaquin Valley (Calif.) Concert Band Invitational)
- University of North Carolina, Greensboro, University Band (Pamela L. Klena, conductor) – 27 February 2018
- University of Florida (Gainesville) Concert Band (Archie G. Birkner IV, conductor) – 26 February 2018
- University of Illinois (Urbana-Champaign) Summer Band (Jason Gardner, conductor) - 27 July 2017
- Cuesta Wind Ensemble (San Luis Obispo, Calif.) (Jennifer Martin, conductor) – 25 March 2017
- Potsdam (New York) Community Band (Theresa Witmer, conductor) – 17 January 2016
- Cuesta Wind Ensemble (San Luis Obispo, Calif.) (Jennifer Martin, conductor) - 15 May 2015
- Golden Valley High School (Merced, Calif.) Symphonic Band (Michael A. Vasquez, conductor) - 20 March 2015 (2015 Sutherland Wind Festival (Fresno, Calif.)
- Austin Symphonic Band (Richard Floyd, conductor) - 21 April 2012
Works for Winds by this Composer
- Asclepius (2007)
- Alligator Alley (2003)
- Bells for Stokowski (2002)
- Bizarro (1993)
- Brooklyn Bridge (2005)
- Dead Elvis (1999)
- Desi (1991)
- Labyrinth of Love (2012)
- Ladder to the Moon (2005)
- Lost Vegas (2011)
- Motown Metal (1994)
- Niagara Falls (1997)
- Of War and Peace (2017)
- On the Air (2012)
- Raise the Roof (2007)
- Red Cape Tango (tr. Spede) (1993/1999)
- Reflections on the Mississippi for Tuba and Band (2013)
- Rio Grande (2015)
- Rosa Parks Boulevard (2001)
- Songs from a Silent Land (2019)
- UFO (2000)
- Vulcan (2014)
- Winter Dreams (2015)
- Daugherty, M. (2003). Alligator Alley [score]. BandQuest, distributed exclusively by Hal Leonard: Milwaukee, Wisc.
- Lourens, Alan. "Alligator Alley. MBM Times, Issue 6 (2012), 57.
- McCutchan, Ann. (1999). The muse that sings: composers speak about the creative process. New York: Oxford University Press.
- Scott, Judson. (2003). "Michael Daugherty" from A Composer's Insight, Volume One." Galesville, MD: Meredith Music.