Duration: c. 2:50
Difficulty: II (see Ratings for explanation)
Publisher: Band Quest
Cost: Score and Parts - $50.00 | Score - $7.50
B-flat Soprano Clarinet I-II
B-flat Tenor Saxophone
E-flat Baritone Saxophone
B-flat Trumpet I-II
Percussion I-II-III-IV, including:
- Bass Drum
- Maracas (mid)
None discovered thus far.
Alegre is a Spanish word meaning “joyful.” Utilizing the style of a Latin groove, the piece is a showcase for rhythmic dexterity. It also demonstrates the inextricable link in Latin American cultures between music and dance. Tania León incorporates the stylistic elements of ostinati with off-beat accents and improvisation to create a brilliant piece that excites both mind and body.
- Program Note from score
Alegre, a Spanish word meaning “joyful; with joy” is a traditional band piece that is meant to be played in a modern Cuban groove style, which is found through the inner pulse, feeling and dynamics of the music. Because Tania Leon is an active educator and strong advocate for education, she wrote this lively work to celebrate the “spirit of young ears and the youth in our community”.
Cuban music today is a multifaceted as it is a blend of musical elements and cultural traditions from many people that came into contact in that country, including Spanish, African, French Creole, and Chinese. The work is structured using repeated ostinati patterns throughout the orchestration and includes an improvised solo section and a brief contrasting legato section before the percussion section continues the dance-like ostinato patterns through the completion of the work.
- Program Note from Grand Street Community Band concert program, 12 December 2021
- MusicFest Canada: B300
To submit a performance please join The Wind Repertory Project
- Louisiana State University (Baton Rouge) Symphonic Band (Kelvin Jones, conductor) - 28 November 2022
- 2022 Pride Bands Alliance (Chicago, Ill.) Red Band (Manic Maxxie, conductor) - 29 May 2022
- Grand Street (Brooklyn, N.Y.) Community Band (Kimberly Roof, conductor) - 12 December 2021
- Appalachian State University (Boone, N.C.) Symphony Band (Jason Gardner, conductor) - 18 November 2021
- University of Louisville (Ky.) Community Band (Jason Cumberledge, conductor) - 18 October 2021
- Rowan University (Glassboro, N.J.) Symphonic Band (Joseph Higgins, conductor) - 14 October 2021
- Hartwick College (Oneonta, N.Y.) Wind Ensemble (Andrew Pease, conductor) – 30 April 2019
- Randolph-Macon College (Ashland, Va.) Ensemble (Brian Coffill, conductor) – 27 March 2019
- Colby College (Waterville, Maine) Wind Ensemble (Eric Thomas, conductor) – 16 March 2018
- Nicholls State University (Thibodeaux, La.) Wind Ensemble (Kirk Bailey, conductor) – 17 October 2018
Works for Winds by This Composer
- Ascend (1983)
- Cumba Cumbakin
- Fanfarria (2000)