Oboe I-II (optional)
Bb Clarinet I-II-III
Eb Alto Clarinet
Bb Bass Clarinet
Eb Contra Alto Clarinet
Alto Saxophone I-II
Trumpets (in Bb) I-II-III
Horn in F I-II-III-IV
Baritone (Bass Clef & Treble Clef)
Percussion I-II-III-IV, including:
- Bass Drum (optional)
- Crash Cymbal
- Marimba (optional)
- Snare Drum
- Suspended Cymbal (optional)
None discovered thus far.
This exciting setting of the well-known Albanian tune Shota captures the festive mood of a village dance. Incorporating the common folk-dance rhythm of long-long-short, this lively piece is scored in cut-time and has a 3 + 3 + 2 eighth-note pattern throughout. The work includes memorable melodies and interesting rhythms and effects, such as trombone glissandos and horn rips.
- Program Note from The Instrumentalist
Eastern Europe has had a long tradition of brass bands, some of which include clarinets and, since the twentieth century, saxophones. Although the instruments now commonly used by concert bands look and sound somewhat different than some of the instruments used by Eastern European bands, this setting of the popular Albanian tune Shota seeks to re-create the festive mood of a raucous village dance, where just such a folk band would have provided the music. Present throughout the piece is the rhythmic pattern of long-long-short, which is a very common folk dance rhythm in many cultures.
This piece is based on part of the finale of the accordion concerto AccorDances, which was written for accordion virtuosos Mark Stillman. The present version was commissioned by Jane Church and the East Lansing High School Concert Band, and was premiered in November, 2003 with the composer conducting.
- Program Note from the score
None discovered thus far.
- Georgia: IV
- Indiana: ISSMA SENIOR BAND GROUP III
- Kansas: IV
- Michigan: Senior High B
- Minnesota: II
- South Carolina: V
To submit a performance please join The Wind Repertory Project
- Indiana University (Bloomington) Concert Band (Jason H. Nam, conductor) – 12 November 2019
- University of Dubuque (Iowa) Wind Ensemble (Cassandra Blanchard, conductor) – 2 November 2019
- Shenandoah Conservatory Concert Band (Winchester, Va.) (Keith Taylor, conductor) – 26 October 2019
- University of Minnesota (Minneapolis) Symphonic Band (Jerry Luckhardt, conductor) – 17 October 2019
- Manhattan Wind Ensemble (New York) (Laurel Stinson, conductor) – 23 May 2019
- Kansas Wesleyan University (Salina) University Band (Carl Rowles, conductor) – 30 April 2019
- University of Minnesota (Minneapolis) University Band (Betsy McCann, conductor) – 29 April 2019
- Rhode Island (Woonsocket) Wind Ensemble (Robert Franzblau, conductor) – 13 April 2019
- University of Georgia (Athens) Hodgson Symphonic Band (Michael Robinson, conductor) – 5 April 2019
- Fresno (Calif.) City College Wind Ensemble (Elisha K Wilson, conductor) - 17 March 2019 (2019 Sutherland Wind Festival (Fresno, Calif.)
- University of Arkansas (Fayetteville) Red Concert Band (Benjamin Lorenzo, conductor) – 3 March 2019
- Grand Street (New York) Community Band (Brian Worsdale, conductor) – 15 December 2018
- Miamisburg (Ohio) Wind Symphony (Steve Aylward, conductor) - 15 November 2018
- University of Illinois (Champaign) University Band (Patricia Vanegas, conductor) – 14 November 2018
- Westbrook (Me.) High School Band (Kyle Smith, conductor) – 8 November 2018
- University of Wisconsin-Platteville Symphonic Wind Ensemble (Barry Ellis, conductor) - 20 April 2018
- Wayne (Neb.) State College Wind Ensemble (David Bohnert, conductor) – 27 February 2018
- University of Minnesota (Minneapolis) North Star Campus Band (Shelley Hanson, conductor) – 5 May 2017
- University of California, Los Angeles, Symphonic Band (Kevin LeBoeuf, conductor) – 8 March 2017
- University of Minnesota (Minneapolis) North Star Campus Band (Dennis A. Hawkins, Jr., conductor) – 6 March 2017
Works for Winds by this Composer
- Albanian Dance (2005)
- Dances with Winds
- El Gato Montés (as arranger) (1918/2014)
- Elegy for Albinoni (2011)
- Evening Song (as arranger)
- Islas y Montañas
- Patapan (2005)
- Guides to Band Masterworks, Vol. 5 (David Kish). Meredith Music.
- Hanson, S. (2005). Albanian Dance [score]. Boosey & Hawkes: New York.
- Teaching Music Through Performance in Band, Vol. 8.