Subtitle: From Final Alice
B-flat Soprano Clarinet I-II-III
B-flat Bass Clarinet
E-flat Alto Saxophone I-II
B-flat Tenor Saxophone
E-flat Baritone Saxaphone
B-flat Trumpet I-III
Horn in F I-II-III-IV
Percussion (1 player), including:
- Suspended Cymbal
None discovered thus far.
This song comes from the orchestral work Final Alice. The original was premiered by soprano Barbara Hendricks and the Chicago Symphony in 1976. David Del Tredici has composed numerous pieces based on the Alice in Wonderland books by Lewis Carroll.
This moving piece is the lullaby-like concluding aria from Pulitzer Prize-winning composer David Del Tredici's Final Alice, the fifth of six large works for soprano and orchestra based on Lewis Carroll's Alice in Wonderland books. This arrangement for band is designed to be playable by a wide variety of groups, and is appropriate for large or small ensembles. The gentle melody, heartrending harmonies, and artful instrumental voicing give this piece a truly timeless feel.
- Program Note from publisher
- Audio CD: Texas 5A All-State Concert Band (Gary Hill, conductor) - 2007
- Texas: III. Complete
To submit a performance please join The Wind Repertory Project
- California High School of the Arts-San Gabriel Valley (Duarte, Calif.) Wind Ensemble (Walter Simonsen, conductor) - 30 November 2023
- Contra Costa Wind Symphony (Walnut Creek, Calif.) (Luis Zuñuga, conductor) - 22 October 2023
- Contra Costa Wind Symphony (Walnut Creek, Calif.) (Brad Hogarth, conductor) - 23 October 2022
- University of Alabama at Birmingham Wind Symphony (Sean Murray, conductor) - 11 October 2022
- The University of Texas at El Paso Wind Symphony (Ronald Rogers, conducting) - 29 September 2022
- Texas Tech University (Lubbock) University Band (Pershauna Johnson, conductor) - 24 April 2022
- Luther College (Decorah, Ia.) Symphonic Band (Cory Near, conductor) – 10 November 2021
- Northshore Concert Band (Wilmette, Ill.) (Mallory Thompson, conductor) - 20 June 2021
- Rowan University (Glassboro, N.J.) Symphonic Band (Joseph Higgins, conductor) – 9 December 2019
- Indiana State University (Terre Haute) Wind Symphony (Nikk Pilato, conductor; Julia Powell, mezzo-soprano) – 23 April 2019
- University of Oklahoma (Norman) Sooner Band (Brian Wolfe, conductor) – 18 April 2019
- David Thompson Secondary School (Vancouver, B.C.) Senior Concert Band (David Lamb, conductor) – 30 January 2019
- University of North Carolina, Greensboro, University Band (Timothy Ellison, conductor) – 14 November 2018
- Puget Sound Youth Wind Ensemble (Tacoma, Wash.) (Scott Fry, conductor) – 25 March 2018
- University of Minnesota (Minneapolis) Gold Campus Band (Michael Chu, conductor) – 26 February 2018
- University of Texas (Austin) Longhorn Concert Band (Joshua Gall, conductor) – 25 February 2018
- University of South Alabama (Mobile) Symphony Band (Jason Rinehart, conductor) – 21 February 2017
- Northwestern University (Evanston, Ill.) Symphonic Band (Shawn Vondran, conductor) – 30 November 2016
- Indiana University (Bloomington) Concert Band (Jason H. Nam, conductor) – 8 November 2016
Works for Winds by This Composer
- David Del Tredici website
- Spede, Mark. "Acrostic Song." In Teaching Music through Performance in Band. Volume 6, edit. & comp. by Richard Miles, 289-293. Chicago: GIA Publications, 2007.
- Tredici, D.; Carroll, L. (2006). Acrostic Song: From "Final Alice" [score]. Boosey & Hawkes: New York.