76 Trombones (arr Iwai)
Meredith Willson (arr. Iwai)
Subtitle: From the Musical 'The Music Man'
E-flat Soprano Clarinet
B-flat Soprano Clarinet I-II-III
E-flat Alto Clarinet
B-flat Bass Clarinet
B-flat Soprano Saxophone
E-flat Alto Saxophone I-II
B-flat Tenor Saxophone I-II
E-flat Baritone Saxophone
B-flat Trumpet I-II-III-IV
Horn in F I-II-III-IV
- Bass Drum
- Crash Cymbals
- Snare Drum
None discovered thus far.
Seventy-Six Trombones is the signature song from the musical play The Music Man (1957), which was written by Meredith Willson. The song also appeared in the 1962 film and in the made-for-TV movie adaptation in 2003. It is also a piece commonly played by marching and military bands.
In the musical, "Professor" Harold Hill uses the song to help the townspeople of River City, Iowa, visualize their children playing in a marching band by recalling a time when he saw several famous bandleaders' bands in a combined performance. While an average-sized high school marching band might have about 10 musicians playing the trombone, and a large college marching band seldom has more than 30 trombonists, the band that Harold Hill describes to the villagers includes 76 trombones, 110 cornets, "more than a thousand reeds", double bell euphoniums, and "fifty mounted cannon" (which were popular in bands of the late 19th century).
The love ballad Goodnight My Someone, which immediately precedes Seventy-Six Trombones in the musical, has the same tune but is played in 3/4 time, at a much slower tempo. In Willson's hometown of Mason City, Iowa, the song is honored (along with the whole plot of The Music Man) in a building called "Music Man Square," which is located next to Willson's boyhood home. In one large room, there are 76 donated trombones hanging from the ceiling.
- Program Note from Wikipedia
None discovered thus far.
To submit a performance please join The Wind Repertory Project
- W.D. Packard Band (Warren, Ohio) (Stephen L. Gage, conductor) – 9 June 2019
- Central Iowa Wind Ensemble (Mark A. Doerffel, conductor) - 5 May 2019
- University of Iowa (Iowa City) Concert Band (Kevin Kastens, conductor) – 30 April 2018
- Louisiana State University (Baton Rouge) Symphonic Band (Kelvin Jones, conductor) – 5 March 2018
- San Luis Obispo (Calif.) Wind Orchestra (David Rackley, conductor) – 24 September 2017
- University of Texas at San Antonio Harmonie Wind Ensemble (Michael Steiner, conductor) – 9 April 2017
- Phoenix (N.Y.) Community Band (Guy Johanson, conductor) – 16 May 2016
- Shizuoka Community Band (Japan) (Takahiro Unno, conductor) - 2 March 2016 (81st Annual ABA National Convention)
- Banda Musical de Fajões (Portugal) (Bruno Costa, conductor) – 9 January 2011
Works for Winds by this Composer
- 76 Trombones (arr Iwai) (arr. Iwai)
- 76 Trombones (arr Cable) (arr. Cable)
- 76 Trombones (arr. Anderson, adapt. Bocook) (1997)
- May the Good Lord Bless and Keep You
- The Music Man (arr. Buckley) (1957/2002)
- The Music Man: Highlights (arr. Reed) (1957/1959)
- Selections from "The Music Man" (arr. Lang) (1957/1958)
- Selections from "The Music Man" (arr. Vinson) (1957/2000)
- Unsinkable Molly Brown, The: I Ain't Down Yet (arr. Yoder) (1961)
- Seventy-Six Trombones, Wikipedia
- Willson, M.; Iwai, N. [1993?]. 76 Trombones [score]. De Haske: Heerenveen, Netherlands.