200, Tercera Suite Para Banda
Duration: c. 27:00
Difficulty: IV (see Ratings for explanation)
Publisher: Ed. Piles
Cost: Score and Parts - €290.00
2. Territorios Norte
3. Territorios Sur
4. Utopía – 6:30
C Piccolo/Flute III
B-flat Soprano Clarinet I-II-III
B-flat Bass Clarinet
E-flat Alto Saxophone I-II
B-flat Tenor Saxophone
E-flat Baritone Saxophone
B-flat Trumpet I-II-III
Horn in F I-II-III-IV
Percussion I-II-III-IV, including:
- Bass Drum
- Crash Cymbals
- Snare Drum
- Suspended Cymbal
- Tubular Bells
- Wood Block
None discovered thus far.
Interdependencia leads us through diverse scenes of the pro-independence period: Nueva Granada, El Florero y Cartagena, Patria Boba, Bolívar, and República, alternating different sides of the two main themes that represent the colonial image (the other) and the national spirit, trying to express the condition of interdependence and inter-existence within the permanent configuration of who we are as a nation and as an individual human being.
In Territorios Norte and Territorios Sur, a contact is being established with LatinAmerican sonorous references, to strengthen the shared characteristics in our region through colonial history, or cultural and social evolution. In such a way we can find the Danzón and other Afro-Cuban music styles in a dialogue with Colombian Caribbean, and the Tango interacting with elements of Andean music systems.
Utopías operates as a synthesis and prospection, in three main segments: Memoria, Encuentro, and Diversidad, which recreates together with the final Coda (Interdependencia) themes of the previous movements.
Alternating modal and tonal contexts with a major liberty, just as textures and techniques of different musical traditions, the rhythmic energy and expressive intentions are the basic motors of the suite, in accordance with these 200 years of collective searching.
- Program Note from score
- 200, Tercera Suite Para Banda has been recommended as interesting, serious and distinctive music by members of the World Association of Symphonic Bands and Ensembles (WASBE).
None discovered thus far.
To submit a performance please join The Wind Repertory Project
- WASBE International Youth Wind Orchestra (José R. Pascual-Vilaplana, conductor) – 18 July 2015 - WASBE Conference, San Jose, Calif.
- Javeriana University (Bogota, Colombia) Symphonic Band (Patricia Vanegas Ruiz, conductor) – 21 December 2013 (2013 Midwest Clinic)
- Banda Sinfónica Portuguesa (José Rafael Pascual Vilaplana, conductor) - 2012
Works for Winds by This Composer
- 200, Tercera Suite Para Banda (2010)
- Arrullo (2003)
- El Mono
- Fandanguería (2007/2017)
- Ritmos de la Tierra (2013)
- San Pelayo (2005/2007)
- Suite No 1
- Suite No 2 for Band (2010)
- Suite No. 4 (2012)
- Suite para Clarinete y Banda (2018)
- Three Colombian Scenes (2019)
- The Woodworm (2013), from Bestiarium
- Valencia Rincón, V. (2011). 200: Tercera Suite para Banda = Third Suite for Symphonic Band [score]. Piles D.L.: Valencia, Spain.