Winter from "The Four Seasons" (arr. Giroux)
Antonio Vivaldi (arr. Julie Giroux)
This article is a stub. If you can help add information to it,
please join the WRP and visit the FAQ (left sidebar) for information.
Year: 1725 /
Duration: c. 3:35
Difficulty: (see Ratings for explanation)
Original Medium: Violin
Cost: Score and Parts - Unknown
None discovered thus far.
Published in a set of 12 concerti by Antonio Vivaldi in 1725, the first movement of Winter brilliantly captures the brisk chill of that season. The short pizzicato notes and chopping bow strokes drive home a sense of frigid temperatures, icicles, and crunching footsteps in the snow. The violin soloist represents the winter wind whipping through the trees and streets, blowing back hair and scarves with gusto.
The Julie Giroux arrangement encompasses the first movement, Allegro non troppo, from the fourth concerto, L'inverno (Winter).
- Program Note from liner notes from Klavier CD Jingle Them Bells
The Four Seasons (Italian: Le quattro stagioni) is a group of four concerti by Italian composer Antonio Vivaldi, each of which gives musical expression to a season of the year. These were composed around 1718−1720, when Vivaldi was the court chapel master in Mantua. They were published in 1725 in Amsterdam, together with eight additional concerti, as Il cimento dell'armonia e dell'inventione (The Contest Between Harmony and Invention).
The fourth concerto, Winter, (L'inverno), officially entitled Concerto No. 4 in F minor, Op. 8, RV 297, contains three movements: Allegro non molto (in F minor); Largo (in E♭ major); and Allegro (in F minor).
- Program Note from Wikipedia
- Audio CD: University of North Texas Symphonic Band (Dennis Fisher, conductor) – 2012
None discovered thus far.
To submit a performance please join The Wind Repertory Project
- Dallas (Tx.) Winds (Jerry Junkin, conductor) - 22 December 2021
Works for Winds by This Composer
- Concerto for Two Flutes
- Concerto for Two Trumpets and Symphonic Band (arr. Lang) (1920?/1964)
- Concerto in B-flat (tr. Yeago) (<1742/2005)
- Concerto in C Major for Two Trumpets (arr. Rumbelow) (1996?)
- Concerto from "L'Estero armonico" (arr. Marlatt) (1711/2016)
- Concerto Grosso in D minor (arr. Cacavas)
- Concerto in C
- Four Seasons, The (1725)
- Italian Masters Suite (arr. Gordon) (1963)
- Largo (arr. Hautvast)
- Piccolo Concerto in C major (arr. Bělohoubek) (1728-29/)
- Piccolo Concerto in C major (arr. Reed) (1728-29/1962/1969)
- Viva Vivaldi (arr. Jenkins) (1963)
- Winter from "The Four Seasons" (arr. Giroux) (1725/)
- Winter from "The Four Seasons" (arr. Slawson) (1725/2009)
- The Four Seasons (Vivaldi). Wikipedia Accessed 22 December 2021