Wind in the Willows
1. The River
2. Ratty and Mole
3. Mister Toad
4. The Return of Ulysses
Eb Soprano Clarinet
Bb Soprano Clarinet I-II-III
Eb Alto Clarinet
Bb Bass Clarinet
Alto Sax I-II
Horn in F I-II-III-IV
Bb Trumpet I-II-III
Percussion I-II-III, including:
- Bass Drum
- Cymbals (crash, finger, and suspended)
- Sleigh Bells
- Snare Drum
- Taxi Horn
- Temple Block
- Triangle (small and large)
- Tubular Bells
- Water Tam-tam
None discovered thus far.
"A book for those who keep the spirit of youth alive in them; of life, sunshine, running water, woodlands, dusty roads, winter firesides” said author Kenneth Grahame (1859-1932) about his children’s book The Wind in the Willows. Initially, he wrote the stories about Ratty, Mole, Badger and Toad to read to his visually handicapped son Alistair, but after the publication in book form in 1908, it became a worldwide success. It was later also turned into a film and a television series. What appeals to me most is the friendly, very cosy atmosphere that Grahame has managed to create with his optimistic narrative style full of high spirits, an atmosphere that reminds me of my own carefree youth. It was therefore a great pleasure to set this book to music!
The four movements successively describe:
I. The River
The river, which flows through the habitat of the animals like a lifeline, regularly is the scene of pleasant boat trips and picnics. The animals lead their untroubled lives here. The four-tone main motif [A-C-D-C] is extensively presented by the brass section, and returns in the following movements as a countermelody.
II. Ratty and Mole
The bright, energetic Rat and the melancholy doubter Mole are inseparable friends and have many adventures. Their opposite characters are illustrated by separate musical themes.
III. Mister Toad
The wilful, haughty Mister Toad is indeed a unique case: time after time, he runs into tricky situations, and with his indomitable passion for fast – preferably stolen – cars he causes quite a lot of damage...
IV. The Return of Ulysses
After Toad Hall, the majestic residence of Mister Toad, is recovered from the weasels and stoats of the Wild Wood, who had captured the estate in a cowardly way, our friends get ready for a banquet. They celebrate the victory with a triumphant parade, and so both the book and the music conclude with a happy ending.
CD Amstel Classics 2002-03 The Wind in the Willows
- Minnesota - Category I
To submit a performance please join The Wind Repertory Project
- Bob Jones University (Greenville, S.C.) Symphonic Wind Band (Dan Turner, conductor; Bill Pinkston, narrator) – 14 April 2018
Works for Winds by this Composer
- African Harmony (2017)
- Aladdin Suite (as arranger)
- Aquarium (1991)
- At Kitty O'Shea's (2011)
- Canticles (2007)
- Celtic Classics (2016)
- Ceremonial Fanfare (de Meij)
- Clair de lune (as arranger) (1890/1905/2017)
- Cloud Factory (2011)
- Continental Overture
- Copacabana (as arranger)
- Echoes of San Marco (2016)
- Edgar (as arranger) (1889/2008)
- Extreme Make-over (2004)
- Extreme Beethoven
- Fellini (2015)
- Festive Hymn (2007)
- Fifty Shades of E (2016)
- Highlights from the Seville Suite (as arranger) (1992/2011)
- Honky Tonk Ragtime (as arranger) (1985)
- Jupiter Hymn (as arranger)
- Klezmer Classics
- La Fanciulla del West (as arranger) (1910/2008)
- La Quintessenza
- Les Papillons (as editor)
- Loch Ness (1988)
- March to Mars (as arranger) (1987)
- Phantom of the Opera (arr de Meij) (as arranger)
- Polish Christmas Music, Part I
- Romeo and Juliet (as arranger) (1935/1990)
- Songs from the Catskills (2012)
- Spring (2010)
- Star Wars Saga (as arranger) (1987)
- Suite for Variety Orchestra (as arranger) (post 1956/1994)
- Summer (2013)
- Symphony No. 1, "Lord of the Rings"
- Symphony No. 2, "The Big Apple"
- Symphony No. 3, "Planet Earth"
- Symphony No. 4, "Sinfonie der Lieder"
- Symphony No. 5, "Return to Middle Earth" (2019)
- UFO Concerto (2012)
- T-Bone Concerto (1996)
- Te Deum (as transcriber) (1900/2010)
- Two-Bone Concerto (2016)
- Teddy Trombone (as arranger)
- Venetian Collection, The
- Via Claudia (2012)
- Wind in the Willows
- Windy City Overture
- Witches' Sabbath, The (as arranger)
- The Woman in White (as arranger) (2006)
- De Meij, J. (2002). The Wind in the Willows: For Wind Orchestra [score]. Amstel Music: Amsterdam.
- Johan de Meij website