Duration: c. 3:55
Difficulty: IV (solo); III (ensemble) (see Ratings for explanation)
Publisher: Fillmore Music House
Cost: Score and Parts – Out of print.
For availability information, see Discussion tab, above.
Solo Cornet Score
E-flat Soprano Clarinet
B-flat Soprano Clarinet Solo-I-II-III
E-flat Alto Saxophone
B-flat Tenor Saxophone
E-flat Baritone Saxophone
B-flat Cornet Solo-I-II-III
E-flat Horn or Alto I-II-III-IV
Horn in F I-II-III-IV
Solo Euphonium or Trombone
- Bass Drum
- Orchestra Bells
- Snare Drum
None discovered thus far.
As successfully featured by the composer, with the Sousa band.
- Program Note from cover
To my friend August H. Schaefer.
- Program Note from score
Willow Echoes was Frank Simon's tour-de-force, a solo he performed many times with the Sousa Band. It is speculated that the title reflects fond memories of many rehearsals and concerts at Willow Grove Park, home of the Sousa Band. It is one of the most elegant works in the cornet solo repertory.
- Program Note from JustForBrass.com
Frank Simon wrote his most famous solo, Willow Echoes , while he was serving as assistant to Herbert L Clarke with Sousa’s Band. It is dedicated to August H. Schaefer, who was a cornet soloist with many bands, and played trumpet with the Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra. Schaefer and Simon played together in both Weber’s Band and the Cincinnati Symphony.
- Program Note from Heritage Encyclopedia of Band Music
- Audio CD: Royal Norwegian Navy Band (Antonsen Ole Edvard, cornet) - 2007
None discovered thus far.
To submit a performance please join The Wind Repertory Project
- Cedar City (Utah) Community Band (Steve Shirts, conductor) - 6 April 2021
- Callanwolde Concert Band (Decatur, Ga.) (Glenn Moore, conductor; Jonas Rodriguez, trumpet) – 29 September 2019
- Hanover Wind Symphony (Montville, N.J.) (Matthew Paterno, conductor; Michael R. Baker, trumpet) – 10 February 2019
- Eastman School of Music (Rochester, N.Y.) Wind Ensemble (Mark Scatterday, conductor; George Vosburgh, cornet) – 6 October 2018
- Greenville (S.C.) Concert Band (Darryl Jachens, conductor; Geoff Gallante, cornet) - 3 May 2013
Works for Winds by This Composer
- American Heroes (1959)
- Cincinnati Post March (1931)
- Four Square March (1931)
- Here Comes the Band (1957)
- March of the Majorettes (1947)
- Miss Blue Bonnet
- Scouts on Parade
- The Statesman March (1953)
- Willow Echoes (1920)
- Heritage Encyclopedia of Band Music. "Frank Simon." Accessed 9 Oct 2022.
- Simon, F. (1920). Willow Echoes : Solo for Cornet, Baritone or Trombone (Bass Clef) [score]. Fillmore Music House: Cincinnati, Ohio.