Watchman, Tell Us of the Night
Oboe I-II (Opt. English Horn)
Bb Soprano Clarinet I-II-III
Bb Bass Clarinet
Bb Contrabass Clarinet
Alto Saxophone I-II
Trumpet (in Bb) I-II-III
Horn in F I-II-III-IV
Percussion I-II-III-IV, including:
- Bass Drum
- Cymbals (crash and suspended)
- Gong (Tam-Tam)
- Snare Drum
- Tenor Drum
- Wind Chimes
None discovered thus far.
A hymn for all children, Watchman, Tell Us of the Night portrays the loneliness, loss of innocence and yet enduring hope of the survivor of child abuse. The work is a musical tribute to survivors, often dreamlike in nature, as seen through the eyes of the child. With this work, Mr. Camphouse responds to the shockingly widespread national tragedy of child abuse. Victims often suffer life-long effects mentally, physically, and socially. This shameful societal illness must be faced openly, honestly, and compassionately.
The title, taken from John Bowring's 1825 text setting of George Elvey's church hymn, Watchman, Tell Us of the Night, is also known as the Thanksgiving hymn, Come Ye Thankful People Come.
Watchman, Tell Us of the Night was commissioned by the St. Louis Youth Wind Ensemble, Milton Allen, conductor, and is dedicated to the composer's twin daughters, Beth and Briton.
Watchman, tell us of the night. For the morning seems to dawn;
Traveler, darkness takes its flight; Doubt and terror are withdrawn.
Watchman, let thy wanderings cease; Hie thee to thy quiet home.
Traveler, yes; it brings the day. Healing wholeness now has come!
- Program Note from score
- New York: VI
To submit a performance please join The Wind Repertory Project
- University of Oklahoma (Norman) Symphony Band (Brian A. Britt, conductor) – 26 February 2018
- College of the Sequoias (Visalia, Calif.) Symphonic Band (Michael Tackett, conductor) - 12 March 2016 (2016 Sutherland Wind Festival (Fresno, Calif.)
- University of British Columbia (Vancouver) Concert Winds (Robert Taylor, conductor) – 3 February 2016
- Omaha Symphonic Winds (William Hall, conductor) - 1 March 2015
- La Sierra University (Riverside, Calif.) Wind Ensemble (Ken Narducci, conductor) - 16 March 2013 (2013 Sutherland Wind Festival (Fresno, Calif.))
- Florida International University Wind Ensemble (Catherine Rand, conductor) - 17 November 2011
- UPEI Wind Symphony (Charlottetown, PEI, Can.)(Karem J. Simon, conductor)- 15 November 2002
- San Luis Obispo (Calif.) Wind Orchestra (William V. Johnson, conductor) – 14 May 14, 2000
Works for Winds by this Composer
- Anthem (2009)
- Canzon, Fugato, and Hymn
- Dakota Rhapsody, A
- Elegy (1989)
- Essay for Symphony Band
- Fantasia on "Black Is the Color of My True Love's Hair" (2006)
- Foundation (2007)
- Heartland Sketches (2009)
- Homage to the Dream (2013)
- Illuminations (2016)
- In Memoriam (2002)
- Legacy for Brass and Percussion
- A Movement for Rosa (1992)
- Pacific Commemoration
- Reminiscences (2011)
- Resolutions (2017)
- Romanza from A Jack Stamp Suite (2017)
- Shining City, The
- Symphonic Prelude (The Cemetery at Colleville-Sur-Mer)
- Symphonic Fanfare (2006)
- Symphony from Ivy Green
- Three London Miniatures (1988)
- To Build a Fire
- Tribute (1985)
- Two American Canvases
- Watchman, Tell Us of the Night
- Whatsoever Things (1997)
- Yosemite Autumn (1997/2004)
- Darling, John A. Watchman, Tell Us of the Night. MBM Times, Issue 6 (2012), 75.
- Mark Camphouse website