Variations on an Ancient Hymn
For availability information, see Discussion tab, above.
E-flat Soprano Clarinet
B-flat Soprano Clarinet Solo-I-II-III
E-flat Alto Clarinet
B-flat Bass Clarinet
E-flat Alto Saxophone I-II
B-flat Tenor Saxophone
E-flat Baritone Saxophone
B-flat Cornet I-II-III
Horn in F I-II
- Crash Cymbals
- Snare Drum
- Suspended Cymbal
- Tenor Drum
None discovered thus far.
Hanson's music is often categorized as neo-romantic. His compositions are melodious and dramatic, and his harmonic language is considered tonal by mid-twentieth century standards.
Variations on an Ancient Hymn, Hanson's shortest and last composition for band, is based on four settings of an early American hymn tune and was published in 1977. The brief work consists of rhythmic and metric variations of an early American Hymn.
- Program Note from Teaching Music Through Performance in Band
(Needed - please join the WRP if you can help.)
- Florida: III
- Kansas: III
- Louisiana: IV
- New York: Concert Band III
- Oklahoma: IV-A
To submit a performance please join The Wind Repertory Project
Works for Winds by This Composer
- Centennial March
- Chorale and Alleluia (1954)
- Concerto for Piano (arr. Bencriscutto)
- Dies Natalis (1973)
- First Movement from "Symphony No 2, 'Romantic' " (arr. Allen) (1930/2018)
- Laude (1976)
- March Carillon (arr. Leidzén) (1920/1940)
- Second Movement from "Nordic Symphony No. 1" (trans. Maddy) (1922/1938)
- Second Movement from "Symphony No 1" (arr. Maddy) (1922/1938)
- Serenade for Flute
- Suite from the Opera "Mary Mount" (tr. Boyd)
- Symphony No. 2 "Romantic": Second Movement (arr. Goldberg) (1930/1960)
- Third Movement from "Symphony No. 2" (arr. McBeth) (1930/1983)
- Triumphal Ode (ed. Ripley) (1918/2008)
- Variations on an Ancient Hymn (1977)
- Hanson, H. (1977). Variations on an Ancient Hymn [score]. Carl Fischer: New York.
- Thomas, Reed. "Variations on an Ancient Hymn." In Teaching Music through Performance in Band. Volume 9, edit. & comp. by Richard Miles. Chicago: GIA Publications, 2013.