Three Dances from Gayane Ballet
Year: 1939 / 1947
Duration: c. 8:30
Difficulty: VI (see Ratings for explanation)
Original Medium: Orchestra
Publisher: Leeds Music Corp.
Cost: Score and Parts – Out of print.
For availability information, see Discussion tab, above.
1. Sabre Dance
3. Dance of the Rose Maidens
E-flat Soprano Clarinet
B-flat Soprano Clarinet Solo-II-III
E-flat Alto Clarinet
B-flat Bass Clarinet
E-flat Alto Saxophone I-II
B-flat Tenor Saxophone
E-flat Baritone Saxophone
B-flat Bass Saxophone
B-flat Cornet Solo-II-III
B-flat Trumpet I-II
E-flat Horn or Alto I-II-III
Horn in F I-II-III
- Bass Drum
- Crash Cymbals
- Orchestra Bells
- Snare Drum
- Suspended Cymbal
None discovered thus far.
Gayane is a four-act ballet with music by Aram Khachaturian. Originally composed in or before 1939, when it was first produced as Happiness. Revised in 1941–42 to a libretto by Konstantin Derzhavin and with choreography by Nina Aleksandrovna Anisimova, the score was revised in 1952 and in 1957, with a new plot.
The most famous parts of the ballet are the Sabre Dance, which has been covered by many pop artists, and the Adagio, which featured prominently in Stanley Kubrick's film 2001: A Space Odyssey.
Khachaturian's original Gayane was the story of a young Armenian woman whose patriotic convictions conflict with her personal feelings on discovering her husband's treason. In later years the plot was modified several times, the resultant story emphasizing romance over nationalistic zeal.
- Program Note from Wikipedia
(Needed - please join the WRP if you can help.)
None discovered thus far.
To submit a performance please join The Wind Repertory Project
- Peninsula Symphonic Band (Palo Alto, Calif.) (Ted Henderson, conductor) – 25 March 2018
- Los Alamos (N.M.) Community Winds (T. Edward Vives, conductor) – 21 October 2017
- Heart of Texas Concert Band (Mark Rogers, conductor) – 21 May 2017
Works for Winds by This Composer
- Adagio from "Spartacus"
- Adagio of Spartacus and Phrygia (arr. Nefs) (1954/)
- Armenian Folk Song and Dance (arr. McAlister)
- Galop (arr. Erickson)
- Gayeneh Dance Suite No 1 (arr. Snoeck)
- Gayeneh (arr. Van der Beek)
- Sabre Dance (arr Balent) (arr. Balent)
- Sabre Dance (arr Bullock) (arr. Bullock)
- Sabre Dance (arr Oliver) (arr. Oliver)
- Sabre Dance (arr Story) (arr. Story)
- Three Dance Episodes from "Sparticus" (arr. Hunsberger) (1969)
- Three Dances from Gayane Ballet (arr. Leidzen) (1939/1947)
- To the Heroes of the Patriotic War (arr. Berz)
- Uzbek March and Dancing Song (arr. McAlister)
- Gayane (ballet), Wikipedia Accessed 20 October 2017
- Khachaturian, A.; Leidzén, E. . Three Dances from Gayane Ballet [score]. Leeds Music: New York.