1. The White Pages - 6:10
2. The Yellow Pages - 6:40
3. The Blue Pages - 3:55
Flute (doubles Piccolo)
B-flat Soprano Clarinet (doubles Bass Clarinet)
None discovered thus far.
The Yellow Pages was composed while I was a student at Yale, in the spring of 1985. I had just finished my first large piece, Ecstatic Orange, and I chose more open, diatonic harmonies as a kind of relief from the denser chords I had just used. My decision to write for two winds, two strings, and piano came from the belief that it would be a practical combination, and that I would be more likely to get performances in the future.
Ten years later, in 1995, when Present Music offered a commission to expand these musical ideas into a three-movement composition, I jumped at the opportunity. Given that the Yellow Pages are generally accompanied by the White Pages (for residential listings) and the Blue Pages (for government listings), it seemed natural to use these two other sections as models for additional movements.
Referring to the alphabetical listings found in these familiar directories, I devised a kind of musical equivalency: bars of music repeat, but I continually introduce new key signatures. The result (going through the complete cycle of fifths, but not transposing anything) is the feeling of much activity over gradual change, much like the way alphabetical order works. (It takes 133 pages of "A" entries to get to the "B's" in my phone book, yet the ending letters of all the entries change constantly). Each movement explores a slightly different application of this treatment.
In addition, the names of the movements also refer to my synesthetic response to the keys I chose. The Yellow Pages is in G major - a key which I've always associated with yellow. White is A minor; blue is D major - and those are the respective keys used.
- Program Note by composer
- Audio CD: Present Music - 1997
None discovered thus far.
To submit a performance please join The Wind Repertory Project
- University of Missouri-Kansas City Conservatory Wind Symphony (Steven D. Davis, conductor) - 27 October 2018
- unnamed quintet (Motril, Granada) – September 2019
Works for Winds by this Composer
- Adjustable Wrench (1989)
- Bliss (2003/2013)
- Bright Blue Music (arr. Kirk) (1985)
- Four Wheel Drive (2004)
- Grand Central Station (2000)
- Javelin (tr. Patterson) (1994/2000)
- The Kiss (2006)
- May, June and July (1995-2012)
- Mojave (2010)
- Overnight Mail (1997)
- Rapture (2001)
- Rust (1989)
- Saxophone Concerto for Soprano Saxophone and Wind Ensemble
- Telephone Book (1985/1995)
- Tiger in the Sun (2011)
- Torque Series (2012)
- Two Girls on the Beach (2005)
- Vanada (1984)
- Michael Torke website Accessed 28 July 2019
- Torke, M. . Telephone Book: For Chamber Ensemble [score]. Hendn Music: New York.