Symphony I (Bukvich)
Subtitle: In Memoriam, Dresden, Germany, 1945
Movements (played without pause)
1. Prologue - 1:20
2. Seeds in the Wind - 1:45
3. Ave Maria - 2:00
4. Fire Storm - 1:30
B-flat Soprano Clarinet I-II-III-IV-V-VI
B-flat Bass Clarinet
Alto Saxophone I-II
B-flat Trumpet I-II-III-IV-V-VI
Horn in F I-II-III-IV
Percussion I-II-III, including:
- Bass Drum
- Brake Drums (suspended)
- Cymbals (suspended)
- Finger Cymbals
- Gong (Drums
- Snare Drum
- Tom-Tom (large)
Players talking and screaming
None discovered thus far.
On the night of February 13, 1945, Allied forces fire-bombed the undefended German city of Dresden. Swollen by the flow of refugees fleeing the advancing Russian Army to almost twice its normal population, the "Fire Storm" killed approximately 150,000 men, women and children.
Movement I "Prologue"
This movement establishes the mood of impending disaster and presents the thematic material upon which the rest of the piece is based.
Movement II "Seeds in the Wind"
The title of this movement refers to the method of "seeding" the bomb target with jellied gasoline and incendiaries. The movement portrays the fury of the bombing attack.
Movement III "Ave Maria"
The material in this movement reflects upon the religious and artistic heritage of Dresden and becomes a prayer for the victims of the attack.
Movement IV "Fire Storm"
In this movement, the sounds of the "Fire Storm" are re-created. Musically, the last movement serves as a resolution to the tension built up in the previous three movements.
- Program Note by Daniel Bukvich
None discovered thus far.
- Minnesota - Category I
To submit a performance please join The Wind Repertory Project
- University of Arkansas at Little Rock Wind Ensemble (Ken Goff, conductor)– 10 March 2020
- The Ohio State University (Columbus) Collegiate Winds (Philip A. Day, conductor) – 16 April 2019
- South Carolina Governor's School of the Arts Wind Ensemble – 12 March 2019
- University of Minnesota (Minneapolis) Maroon Campus Band (Cassandra Bechard, conductor) – 7 March 2019
- University of Georgia (Athens) Hodgson Concert Band (Jonathan Poquette, conductor) – 23 April 2018
- University of Iowa (Iowa City) University Band (Joseph Cernuto, conductor) – 26 March 2018
- Indiana State University Wind Symphony (Nikk Pilato, conductor) - 15 February 2018
- Florida Atlantic University (Boca Raton) Wind Ensemble (Kyle Prescott, conductor) – 29 November 2017
- Cuesta Wind Ensemble (San Luis Obispo, Calif.) and Youth Symphony Symphonic Winds (Miriam Grisso, conductor) – 10 May 2017
- Truman State University (Kirksville, Mo.) Wind Symphony II (Jennifer Rubin, conductor) – 27 April 2017
- Handsworth Secondary (North Vancouver, B.C.) Senior Wind Ensemble (David Bradshow, conductor) – 10 November 2016
- Northwestern Michigan College (Traverse City, MI) Concert Band (Patricia Brumbaugh, conductor) - 19 April 2016
- Cabrillo High School Wind Ensemble (Garson Olivieri, conductor) - 22 May 2013
- California Polytechnic State University, San Luis Obispo, Wind Orchestra (Christopher J. Woodruff, conductor) - 18 November 2011
- Austin Peay State University Symphonic Band (John Schnettler, conductor) - 27 April 2011
- University of Georgia University Band (Andy Peeks, conductor) - 26 April 2011
- Westgate High School Concert Band (Tim Farnsworth, conductor) - May 2011
Works for Winds by this Composer
- 12873465 (2004)
- Agincourt Hymn (1987)
- Ballroom Portraits
- Before Thy Throne I Now Appear
- Buffalo Jump Ritual
- Casco Bay
- Celebrate Celebration
- Changing Concepts
- Child's Dream of a Star, A
- Concerto for Clarinet and Orchestral Winds
- Dinosaurs (1991)
- Dream of Abraham, The
- Electricity (1997)
- Fanfare for 1990 Goodwill Games
- Fanfare for a Great Circle
- Fanfare in Song Form
- Four Phrases from Psalm 91
- The Haunted Mine (2010)
- Hymn of St. Francis
- In Memoriam, Dresden, 1945. See: Symphony No. 1, "In Memoriam, Dresden, 1945"
- Jack Teagarden Enters Heaven (1997)
- Maine Vigils
- March of the Children's Guard (1997)
- Meditations on the Writings of Vasily Kandinsky
- Music for Percussion and Band
- Night City - Music for the Imaginary Film
- Scenes from Childhood (Bukvich)
- Song Suite for Band
- Surprise, Pattern, Illusion: Prehistoric Cave Ceremonies
- Symphony No. 1, "In Memoriam, Dresden, 1945"
- Three Phrases from Yugoslav Folk Songs
- Threnos (2000)
- Time Travel (1997)
- Unusual Behavior in Ceremonies Involving Drums
- Virgin and Child with St Anne, The
- Voodoo (1984)
- Xylophone Concerto