Suite No. 1 (Smith)
Subtitle: For Percussion Ensemble
Duration: c. 4:25
Difficulty: V (see Ratings for explanation)
Publisher: Tapspace Publications
Cost: Score and Parts (print) - $38.00; (digital) - $34.00 | Score Only (print) - $11.00; (digital) - $11.00
Percussion I-II-III-IV (4 players), including:
- Bass Drum
- Crash Cymbals
- Marimba (4.3 octaves)
- Ride Cymbal
- Snare Drum
- Suspended Cymbal
- Temple Blocks
- Tom-toms (4)
None discovered thus far.
The composer Fred Emory Smith earned a 2013 Emmy nomination for his work with PBS on P.O.V., written for percussion ensemble, entitled Suite No. 1. The work makes use of a rhythmic motif in 4/4 time that is later explored in 7/8 time. Although not bombastic in nature, the work is certainly high in energy. A middle section turns lyrical and smooth until the drums take over once again.
- Program Note from Baylor University Concert Band program notes, 5 May 2019
Commissioned by the Pacific Symphony Youth Wind Ensemble.
- Program Note from score
- Ohio: 651 – PERCUSSION ENS B
- Texas: Percussion ensemble class 1.
To submit a performance please join The Wind Repertory Project
- Riverside High School (Painesville, Ohio) Percussion Ensemble (unconducted) - 7 March 2020
- Northwestern University (Evanston, Ill.) Concert Band (Daniel J. Farris, conductor) – 1 March 2020
- Baylor University (Waco, Texas) Concert Band (unconducted) – 5 May 2019
- University of Southern Mississippi Percussion Ensemble (Ian McClaflin, conductor) – 2016
Works for Winds by This Composer
- Suite No. 1 (2011)