Stuart Johnson (b. 1936 in Staffordshire, Great Britan) served in the band of the Kings Dragoons Guards and then trained as a teacher. He has a wide experience in music education, as a teacher, lecturer and Music Advisor.
Stuart Johnson is one of Britain's leading educational writers for bands. He has achieved great success with his `Band Book' series for brass, but he also has the distinction of writing more advanced works - such as 'Sinfonietta' for Wind Band - which enjoy equal acclaim. All his pieces are carefully tried at school level before publication and he is widely regarded as an authority in his field.
In recent years he has produced a substantial amount of new music for Wind Band, mostly to commission, including his hugely successful 'Circus Suite', and a series of 'Bandstand' pieces (Bandstand Boogie, Beguine, Ragtime etc.). He has always been careful to strike a balance between interesting content but practical scoring.
His Wind Band output is published exclusively by G & M Brand Publications, England.
Works for Winds
- Bandstand Beguine
- Bandstand Blues
- Bandstand Boogie
- Bandstand Ragtime
- Blues on the Slide
- Celebration Prelude (Johnson)
- Circus Suite (Johnson)
- Cradle Song and A Soldiers March
- Dances Time Suite
- Fairground Suite
- Flute Sundae
- Flyaway Blues
- Golden West Suite, The (Johnson)
- In a Summer Garden
- Jamaican Rock
- Little Brown Jug (Johnson)
- Londonderry Air (Johnson)
- Percussion Perspectives
- Rhapsody on an English Sea Song (Johnson)
- Rondo March
- Round the Horn
- Scenes from a Royal Tapestry Suite
- Sinfonietta (Johnson)
- Songs of the North (Johnson)
- Spirit of Adventure Overture (Johnson)
- Straffordshire Festival Overture, A
- Symphonic Variations (Johnson)
- Tango John B, The
- Theme from Emperor Waltz (as arranger)
- Toccata (Johnson)
- Trumpet Classics (Johnson)
- Viva La France (Johnson)
- Wessex Dances
None discovered thus far.